PDA

View Full Version : Aliens strategy game

BolshyMKII
25 Mar 08, 11:54:09 AM
This game has been driving me nuts (in a good way):

http://www.dragongamez.com/xenotactic.htm

One of those place the gun turret games but with xenomorph style aliens. I've got to level 4 (fairly easily) and completely cannot find a way to beat it. 40 waves of aliens and wave 35 gets me every time.

:rolls_eyes:

LuisGarcia
27 Mar 08, 06:33:45 PM
Mrs Garcia now hates you.

BolshyMKII
27 Mar 08, 06:45:40 PM
Did you beat level 4 yet? I got as far as wave 37 on that level and still can't do it.

Thing is, I get wiped out by the massed flyers on wave 35 (damn those expensive and otherwise useless anti-aircraft batteries) or if I survive that my ground defence still isn't strong enough.

In other words, I'm doubly doomed and can see no way past. Frustrating.

LuisGarcia
27 Mar 08, 06:50:26 PM
I'm struggling with the same thing. Those AA's are only good for the aircraft swarms, but they're also necessary. I'm trying various plasma arrangements, but can't get past there, no.

LuisGarcia
29 Mar 08, 02:06:48 PM
Ok, I cracked 4, and 5 was relatively easy, but 6 is an utter nightmare.

BolshyMKII
30 Mar 08, 03:47:50 AM
Ok, I cracked 4

Pics or it didn't happen :shifty:

LuisGarcia
30 Mar 08, 06:09:29 AM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh77/SanzLuisGarcia/level4map.jpg

last critter is about to die, and here's how you do it.

Rivers Cuomo Fan #754
30 Mar 08, 07:55:30 AM
I suck because I can't get past level 3. Fuck fliers, fuck nothing worth a damn being able to hit them.

BolshyMKII
30 Mar 08, 11:43:13 AM
last critter is about to die, and here's how you do it.

Cheers! Nice use of upgrading one or two units to silly level. Also, you seem to have avoided using the damn freeze guns which is what I kept trying.

I suck because I can't get past level 3. Fuck fliers, fuck nothing worth a damn being able to hit them.

Gunner's funniest post yet :retard:

LuisGarcia
30 Mar 08, 11:57:22 AM
Those plasma guns are awesome if you get them to that level.

BolshyMKII
30 Mar 08, 02:03:35 PM
Must be, because I was building paths of the basic gun that pretty much covered the whole screen! There is a comical amount of space on your (winning) board compared to what I was trying.

BolshyMKII
30 Mar 08, 03:27:07 PM
Lol, even with copying your blueprint I just failed - couldn't upgrade the damn plasma quick enough! Though I could have sworn that a couple of times my gold reset from about 100 to zero. Weird. Ah well.

Rivers Cuomo Fan #754
30 Mar 08, 03:30:08 PM
Though I could have sworn that a couple of times my gold reset from about 100 to zero. Weird. Ah well.

This happened to me every so often: money becomes "NAN" (not a number) without warning.

It's honestly not a very well designed game. That anti-air tower is bullshit.

BolshyMKII
30 Mar 08, 04:09:29 PM
And so's your nan. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

:laugh:

Oh, nans, they make me laugh so.

Yeah, buggy ass game, never mind.

LuisGarcia
30 Mar 08, 04:51:57 PM
Though I could have sworn that a couple of times my gold reset from about 100 to zero. Weird. Ah well.

Build the maze first then add the plasmas and then upgrade them.

When you can see a red circle randomly on the board, pause it then resume before you do anything, that stops the losing money bug.

BolshyMKII
30 Mar 08, 04:59:52 PM
Yay, I beat level 4 :)

the WORST elf
30 Mar 08, 05:29:42 PM
that site has a lot of games. the archer/mage/ninja one is similar to this one, but more my style.

http://www.dragongamez.com/ultimatedefense.htm

beyelzu
27 May 08, 12:22:07 PM
i beat level 5 now im on the last one, which evidentally is pretty fucking impossible

LuisGarcia
27 May 08, 12:33:37 PM
Heh. Not that I've been obsessing over it, but I finally beat level 6 last night.

Viscous Love
27 May 08, 02:34:01 PM
This happened to me every so often: money becomes "NAN" (not a number) without warning.

lolwut? Does Flash not have integer primitives, or is this some sorta crude fix for division by zero?

beyelzu
31 May 08, 09:32:16 AM
shit i fucked up the swap on level seventy two, but i will beat it soon

Plognark
19 Jun 08, 07:56:19 AM
Fuck me, I got to wave 40 on level 4 and scrubbed out last night. Cunt cock whore shit fist. :ANGRY:

Reign_Cryogen
19 Jun 08, 09:31:02 AM
v1.3 included a fix for the money bug. It works more or less perfectly.

I ended up stuck at the spot where pretty much everyone else gets stuck without a hack: wave 92.

Gave up on it after trying a few strategies.

Heh. Not that I've been obsessing over it, but I finally beat level 6 last night.How in the hell did you manage that?

SkepticTank
19 Jun 08, 10:19:19 AM
fuck me. I'm having difficultly with level 2. The flying fuckers kill me since I'm wasting all my money creating a gauntlet for the walkers to go through I don't have any money for Anti-aircraft.

LuisGarcia
19 Jun 08, 10:25:48 AM
Upgrades. Upgrades upgrades upgrades

LuisGarcia
19 Jun 08, 10:28:45 AM
How in the hell did you manage that?

Patience, trying different things, and a lot of swearing.

SkepticTank
19 Jun 08, 10:30:07 AM
Upgrades. Upgrades upgrades upgrades

So vulcan turrets with upgrades instead of SAM turrets?

LuisGarcia
19 Jun 08, 12:11:36 PM
yup

SkepticTank
20 Jun 08, 08:38:52 AM
Vulcan turrets only (level 4)
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa48/BigJim1000/Internet%20SeriousBusiness/level4.jpg

Fucking fliers ate me up, but I still had a few to spare. Yes, I got the last two after the screen grab.

SkepticTank
20 Jun 08, 09:14:24 AM
Ooh, Plasma turrets are the fucking win. Got Level 5 on my first attempt. Similar maze, but strategically located plasma guns upgraded to the max, and they work pretty fucking well against the fliers.

SkepticTank
20 Jun 08, 09:30:08 AM
v1.3 included a fix for the money bug. It works more or less perfectly.

And where do you find v1.3?

Fucking money prob is killing me on level 6. I wait to try and upgrade my plasma to the final level, and my money disapears. Fuck that

SkepticTank
20 Jun 08, 09:36:03 AM
http://www.onlinegamesquad.com/?1085-1

has 1.3

The game is much easier when it quits stealing your fucking money.

LuisGarcia
20 Jun 08, 09:39:21 AM
When you can see a red circle randomly on the board, pause it then resume before you do anything, that stops the losing money bug.

:nada:

SkepticTank
20 Jun 08, 11:06:13 AM
fuck that.

Tartantyco
20 Jun 08, 12:40:30 PM
This game is better. (http://www.addictinggames.com/thelaststand2.html)

Plognark
20 Jun 08, 12:40:43 PM
Man, level 6 is a whore.

That whole upgrade thing is no joke though. If you don't upgrade your shit, you're hosed.

The fliers in 6 are giving me the biggest problem. Not sure whether to bother with a few anti-air units or just go balls-to-the-wall cannons.

SkepticTank
20 Jun 08, 01:33:16 PM
On level 6, I can get up around wave 50 or so with just vulcan cannons for the maze, and Plasmas upgraded to red, and I can do reasonably well against the flyers.

Reign_Cryogen
20 Jun 08, 01:34:20 PM
Ooh, Plasma turrets are the fucking win. Got Level 5 on my first attempt. Similar maze, but strategically located plasma guns upgraded to the max, and they work pretty fucking well against the fliers.For the first four missions a single, maxed-out plasma turret can pretty much take care of everything. Worth the expense.

5 and 6 are another animal entirely.

LG: If you don't mind my asking, how did you deal with waves 92 and 100? Before giving up on it entirely, I consulted the internets and found no evidence of anyone pulling it off legitimately. The premier issue being that 14 maxed-out DCA's and 4 or 5 maxed-out Freeze turrets was pretty much the best-case-scenario one could muster, money wise, by the time you got there.

This is assuming, of course, 2-4 SAMs handling all of your ground offense. I toyed around with that quite a bit and concluded that anything more robust would only hurt your DCA buildup in the long run.

Reign_Cryogen
20 Jun 08, 01:48:24 PM
Man, level 6 is a whore.

That whole upgrade thing is no joke though. If you don't upgrade your shit, you're hosed.

The fliers in 6 are giving me the biggest problem. Not sure whether to bother with a few anti-air units or just go balls-to-the-wall cannons.That's pretty much everyone's problem.

It's easy enough to build a 3-outlet maze with a good center switchback to compress everything together and pound it down with a couple SAMs. The trouble is building a big enough grid of maxed-out DCA's with supporting Freeze to handle the later flyer swarms. They take an incredible amount of pounding to bring down and the splash from upgraded DCA's doesn't have a big radius.

SkepticTank
20 Jun 08, 02:48:59 PM
Fucking wave 6 really sets me back. I can be prepared for the air strike in wave 7 with a couple of plasmas, but the little spore thingys that keep dividing really need a pretty well developed maze. They don't wipe me out, but if 3 or 4 get through, I feel like I shouldn't even go on.

Maybe the SAM does a better job of killing those fucks?

Reign_Cryogen
20 Jun 08, 04:35:48 PM
Yeah, 6 and 7 are easily the hardest part until 92. I generally do it by the seat of my pants and just flip them at the last second, then drop whatever extra Vulcans I have to in order to bring the flyers down while the greenies are dying, then sell those vulcans and patch up the hole, get back to work on the final maze. If you can survive them and get a few DCAs up for wave 14, you're fine for most of the rest of the game.

LuisGarcia
20 Jun 08, 04:49:26 PM
LG: If you don't mind my asking, how did you deal with waves 92 and 100? Before giving up on it entirely, I consulted the internets and found no evidence of anyone pulling it off legitimately. The premier issue being that 14 maxed-out DCA's and 4 or 5 maxed-out Freeze turrets was pretty much the best-case-scenario one could muster, money wise, by the time you got there.

This is assuming, of course, 2-4 SAMs handling all of your ground offense. I toyed around with that quite a bit and concluded that anything more robust would only hurt your DCA buildup in the long run.

I don't mind you asking at all.

Plognark
20 Jun 08, 06:19:31 PM
Fucking wave 6 really sets me back. I can be prepared for the air strike in wave 7 with a couple of plasmas, but the little spore thingys that keep dividing really need a pretty well developed maze. They don't wipe me out, but if 3 or 4 get through, I feel like I shouldn't even go on.

Maybe the SAM does a better job of killing those fucks?

That one was a pain in the ass for me too. I finally just went apeshit with the vulcans in a central block, with a temp. maze leading there. A cluster of 6 managed to swat the flyers and all but a few splitting critters.

Plognark
25 Jun 08, 06:26:32 PM
So anyone else beat 6 yet? I fucking hate the level 70-80 fliers. They pwn me. Actually, the level 65-ish fliers hit me wicked hard and I don't have enough for more than one or two hits after that.

I've been building big arrays of missile turrets, but I'm thinking quality over quantity at this point.

I wind up having a maze with two opening and alternating walls to turn and keep the ground critters contained :blah:

Plognark
7 Jul 08, 08:15:06 AM
Blarg.

Can't crack level 92 on this thing.

By the time wave 92 hits, I'm down to only 11-12 health, and I can only take out about two fliers in the wave of 20.

Anyone seen wave 100? Is it more flyers? If it is that's just fucked up. :CONFUSEDED:

Reign_Cryogen
7 Jul 08, 10:42:18 AM
Wave 100 is another batch of fliers. And yeah, you pretty much need to get to 92 with full health.

And, in point of fact, I have since seen it done legitimately. The one who did it had some very aggressive compression and used a much heavier ground offense. Doing that yielded better cash flow later on and, thus, more DCA's. Something like 17 full-strength towers for 92 and 100. And a shitload of Freeze, I might add.

Also, to ensure the Freeze towers allowed maximum exposure, they would actually re-route the mob completely out of the center while the flier waves passed through.

So basically, whatever you're doing is probably not wrong, just not aggressive enough. If you can get to 92, you can beat it if you just go one step further.

Now I debate on whether to try to pull it off myself.

SkepticTank
7 Jul 08, 10:46:44 AM
you pretty much need to get to 92 with full health.How the fuck do you get past the big boss waves? Like the two green splitter fuckers and the two flyers with 25,000,000 HP each?

Reign_Cryogen
7 Jul 08, 11:00:10 AM
1) Freeze turrets supporting your DCAs is vital to the state
2) One maxed-out DCA is generally more powerful than two of any lesser status.

My first goal is generally to build up two DCA's simultaneously. They'll get you pretty far once they're maxed out. Any additional DCA's I build up one at a time until they're maxed out. I haven't touched the game at all in some time so I don't recall how many full-power DCAs I have when those two waves of solo, nasty fliers come at the halfway point.

Other than that, a ground unit is a ground unit and you just gotta bounce them between three exits to get them compressed while your SAMs pound them down.

Plognark
7 Jul 08, 11:42:22 AM
1) Freeze turrets supporting your DCAs is vital to the state
2) One maxed-out DCA is generally more powerful than two of any lesser status.

My first goal is generally to build up two DCA's simultaneously. They'll get you pretty far once they're maxed out. Any additional DCA's I build up one at a time until they're maxed out. I haven't touched the game at all in some time so I don't recall how many full-power DCAs I have when those two waves of solo, nasty fliers come at the halfway point.

Other than that, a ground unit is a ground unit and you just gotta bounce them between three exits to get them compressed while your SAMs pound them down.

Yeah, I've been doing a big switchback with some little gates at the end, and I keep moving a wall from one end to the other to contain the ground units.

If you do it right, you should never even get touched by a ground unit, you just keep redirecting them. I've been funneling them away from my central DCA's as well with one-way gates to cluster them up.

I may go for heavier ground weaponry (vulcans, I think) if what you say worked. With just 3-4 maxed out SAM turrets (why did they name them that????) I do great up until the late 70 and early 80 waves. At that point shit is so tough that it'll take me fifteen minutes to kill it.

SkepticTank
7 Jul 08, 12:21:55 PM
If you do it right, you should never even get touched by a ground unit, you just keep redirecting them.

Cool, I hadn't even thought of that. It was relatively easy to get through level 4 & 5 with just building up Plasma guns.

Plognark
7 Jul 08, 12:34:12 PM
If you do it right, you should never even get touched by a ground unit, you just keep redirecting them.

Cool, I hadn't even thought of that. It was relatively easy to get through level 4 & 5 with just building up Plasma guns.

Yeah, the early levels condition you to be lazy. The jump in difficulty from 5 to 6 is absurd.

I'm going to try it with maxed out vulcans right at the two gates; see if that gets me anywhere.

SkepticTank
7 Jul 08, 01:38:24 PM
I got yer vulcan cannon right here!

Reign_Cryogen
7 Jul 08, 10:49:33 PM
My usual build that wasn't quite working was 3-4 SAM's, but I might try 4-5 with 1-2 Plasma (the ideal being to get them trained on the bosses). Previously I'd run into the problem of a heavier ground offense eating into my air budget and making things worse, but if I rework the map for better compression, it could pay off.

One way or another, SAMs are your mainstay damage later on. They take forever to kill individual targets, yes, but their damage potential is nearly unlimited - keep in mind that the splash on a maxed-out SAM will reach across a single layer of turrets, so if you can keep the mob in your switchback, they will get the job done better than any other turret.

Vulcans, I've decided, are kinda crap in the long run. But YMMV.

Plognark
12 Jul 08, 01:45:28 PM
My usual build that wasn't quite working was 3-4 SAM's, but I might try 4-5 with 1-2 Plasma (the ideal being to get them trained on the bosses). Previously I'd run into the problem of a heavier ground offense eating into my air budget and making things worse, but if I rework the map for better compression, it could pay off.

One way or another, SAMs are your mainstay damage later on. They take forever to kill individual targets, yes, but their damage potential is nearly unlimited - keep in mind that the splash on a maxed-out SAM will reach across a single layer of turrets, so if you can keep the mob in your switchback, they will get the job done better than any other turret.

Vulcans, I've decided, are kinda crap in the long run. But YMMV.

I've had zero luck with an array of vulcans with some SAM backup. Maxed out SAMs seem to be the best. I'm thinking of using a plasma cluster towrads the center of the map along with an ass load of DCAs. So far twelve maxed out DCAs and a shit load of ice still is inadequate to win. :blah:

Reign_Cryogen
12 Jul 08, 07:35:53 PM
Yeah, it takes something like 17-ish maxed-out DCA's to just barely pull it off, and it takes a bit of luck.

I still haven't pulled it off yet either, though I almost made it past 93. :P

Plognark
30 Jul 08, 11:20:44 AM
Yeah, it takes something like 17-ish maxed-out DCA's to just barely pull it off, and it takes a bit of luck.

I still haven't pulled it off yet either, though I almost made it past 93. :P

I made it to 100, finally, with 1 hit point left. Obviosuly that didn't last me long, as I only killed 3 out of 20 in the final wave of fliers.

The best I could muster was 15 maxed out DCAs and a half. I only got that far by selling off all of my ground offense before level 93 to deal with that wave.

SAMs are definitely the way to go. A single maxed out plasma is good for big tough ones, but late in the game you can just sell it off. It doesn't do that much.

To generate cash, you really, really need to be proactive about herding the ground units into a single cluster so you can hammer them with SAMs. :blah:

SkepticTank
1 Aug 08, 10:59:19 AM
Is is possible to kill the two boss flyers? I can kill the two boss green glob things by re-selling re-buying one little section to force them back and forth through the gauntlet, but I'm not coming close on the flyers. I've pretty much given up on mmission 6, just trying to do 5 without allowing a single bad guy through.

Plognark
1 Aug 08, 12:28:53 PM
Is is possible to kill the two boss flyers? I can kill the two boss green glob things by re-selling re-buying one little section to force them back and forth through the gauntlet, but I'm not coming close on the flyers. I've pretty much given up on mmission 6, just trying to do 5 without allowing a single bad guy through.

Yeah, you need 3-4 maxed out DCAs by the time they come through, and two maxed out ice units to stall them long enough to take them down.

I actually wind up restarting on them a lot, because their path is random, and sometimes they wind up crossing right over the same DCA and I don't do quite enough to kill one of them.

SkepticTank
1 Aug 08, 12:31:50 PM
Yeah, I actually did get one of them with just one maxed out DCA, but I got lucky cuz it flew right over the top, and I had a buttload of maxed Plasmas that did a fair amount of damage too.

Reign_Cryogen
3 Aug 08, 06:56:01 PM
Yeah, part of the trick is not getting too crazy with your ground offense, even though you feel like you should. I get up to around wave 40 or so with just one maxed-out Plasma and one maxed-out SAM.

The two waves of nasty-ass single flyers (the big ones at wave 49 and the small ones at wave 58) are pretty easily managed by 3-4 maxed-out DCA's. If you've got them centered enough it's unlikely you'll have trouble.

Reign_Cryogen
11 Aug 08, 04:22:38 PM
Oh, I should point out that what I said earlier about having seen it completed.. was in versions 1.1 and 1.2. I'm not sure that anyone's completed 1.3 as it appears the writer notched the health on everything by about 10% or so.

Plognark
11 Aug 08, 06:12:46 PM
Oh, I should point out that what I said earlier about having seen it completed.. was in versions 1.1 and 1.2. I'm not sure that anyone's completed 1.3 as it appears the writer notched the health on everything by about 10% or so.

Fuck, are you serious?

I saw the 1.2 Youtube video, and because this stupid game triggers my OCD, it looks like you actually get more money in 1.2 as well. The dude has more DCAs than a person ought to be able to afford at high levels. :owned:

I tried xeno tactic 2 and beat it in a day. :sad:

Have you been able to find a version of 1.2? All I can find is 1.3 and various 1.0 or 1.1 betas.

Reign_Cryogen
12 Aug 08, 11:32:55 AM
I've found a couple copies of 1.2 buuuuuuuuut.. all of them have the same bug that doesn't include progress data. So you have to play all the way through even if you fail and don't close out the window. The 1.2x versions seem to have fixed that (and were the first inclusion of the Wall unit) but I've yet to find one.

I presume the videos you found were the KeyesChen recordings?

Plognark
12 Aug 08, 12:14:20 PM
I've found a couple copies of 1.2 buuuuuuuuut.. all of them have the same bug that doesn't include progress data. So you have to play all the way through even if you fail and don't close out the window. The 1.2x versions seem to have fixed that (and were the first inclusion of the Wall unit) but I've yet to find one.

I presume the videos you found were the KeyesChen recordings?

I think so. They were up on YouTube, but a few seem to have been taken down. The one I saw was a no-wall version.

I may try it out with 1.1x just to see if it's really that radical of a difference.

The price of vulcans in 1.1x is annoying though.

Plognark
13 Aug 08, 12:13:33 PM
Ok, yeah, it was the KeynesChen vids.

This is the best I've seen anyone deal with 1.3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYVYDJUKwhA&feature=related

Might need to refresh a bit to get the fucker to show up.

That seems to be about as good as you can do without cheating in 1.3.

This one for 1.2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE0czD9kX7Q&feature=related

Is quite amusing at the end, when he builds like 15 maxed out plasma's :harhar:

Reign_Cryogen
13 Aug 08, 12:44:15 PM
Yeah, that's pretty similar to my setup, and the best I've been able to pull off is getting to 100 with 1 or 2 bars left.

I don't mess around with diagonals, though, because a splitter pops through every time.

Plognark
13 Aug 08, 01:21:29 PM
Yeah, that's pretty similar to my setup, and the best I've been able to pull off is getting to 100 with 1 or 2 bars left.

I don't mess around with diagonals, though, because a splitter pops through every time.

Happens to me too. Pretty balsy to try it; I've lost a bunch of times because of that fuckup.

So far I've made it to level 100 once with 1 health. I can't really see how you could do much better without hacking the fucker.

SkepticTank
13 Aug 08, 01:56:33 PM
What is it that gets through? Even on one of the hacked versions on youtube, something gets through eventually and he drops down to about 4-5 health before finishing.

Shee-it that's a lot of working selling/re-buying blocks to run the bad guys back & forth through the gauntlet.

Reign_Cryogen
13 Aug 08, 03:09:10 PM
Flyers. The last two waves of flyers (93 and 100) have something like a quarter million health. The hacked runs I've seen that pull it through with no losses took something like 30+ full-power DCA's, plus supporting Freeze. In other words, more firepower than one could afford even if you had all possible cash (takes 575 to build a full power DCA, in total).

Plognark
13 Aug 08, 07:03:44 PM
Flyers. The last two waves of flyers (93 and 100) have something like a quarter million health. The hacked runs I've seen that pull it through with no losses took something like 30+ full-power DCA's, plus supporting Freeze. In other words, more firepower than one could afford even if you had all possible cash (takes 575 to build a full power DCA, in total).

Yeah, wave 93 the fliers have just over 300K health each.

Ground units are irrelevant other than something you have to keep contained and kill fast for money.

Basically, if you can make it to level 100, you've effectively "beaten" the game, since actually surviving wave 100 is impossible without hacking it.

The only way I pulled it off was to sell off every ground-offense turret prior to wave 93 and sink everything into DCAs. I think I left a single maxed out SAM, and that was it. That got me to 100 with 1 HP left.

Reign_Cryogen
28 Aug 08, 11:38:12 AM
I just checked, for giggles, and sure enough the early 1.2 versions had the wave 100 flyers clocking in at 191k health.

And it's still a bitch.

The one thing that would have fixed this would be for the "splash" on the DCA's to have some appreciable radius. As it stands I'm not sure if it even works at all.

Plognark
28 Aug 08, 01:57:54 PM
I just checked, for giggles, and sure enough the early 1.2 versions had the wave 100 flyers clocking in at 191k health.

And it's still a bitch.

The one thing that would have fixed this would be for the "splash" on the DCA's to have some appreciable radius. As it stands I'm not sure if it even works at all.

I'm pretty sure there's no splash on the DCAs at all.

Eh, I'm over it anyway, I've moved on to about a dozen other flash games.

Reign_Cryogen
28 Aug 08, 02:03:38 PM
Yeah, before this thread I had free time.