PDA

View Full Version : A post-apocalyptic mafia! (fallout-themed)

plaridel
16 Feb 08, 04:02:55 PM
War. War never changes.

The Romans waged war to gather slaves and wealth. Spain built an empire from its lust for gold and territory. Hitler shaped a battered Germany into an economic superpower.

But war never changes.

In the 21st century, war was still waged over the resources that could be acquired. Only this time, the spoils of war were also its weapons: Petroleum and Uranium. For these resources, China would invade Alaska, the US would annex Canada, and the European Commonwealth would dissolve into quarreling, bickering nation-states, bent on controlling the last remaining resources on Earth.

In 2077, the storm of world war had come again. In two brief hours, most of the planet was reduced to cinders. And from the ashes of nuclear devastation, a new civilization would struggle to arise.

A few were able to reach the relative safety of the large underground Vaults. Vault 8 was one such vault. Imprisoned safely behind the large Vault door, under a mountain of stone, a generation of people survived untainted by radiation.

When the great darkness passed, Vault 8 opened, and its inhabitants emerged to begin their lives again. For miles and miles they saw only a vast wasteland, unsuitable for habitation. Fortunately, the vault was stocked with the highest technological achievements of humanity before the Great War.

With the help of the Garden of Eden Creation Kit (GECK), a settlement right outside Vault 8 was established. Among many things, it contained basic force field schematics, info on how to make adobe-type buildings from the landscape and instructions on how to disassemble sections of their vault (or take extraneous systems from the vault) that were essential in creating new homes and defensive structures on the surface. A fertilizer system filled with a variety of food seeds, soil supplements, and chemicals that could turn arid wasteland into fertile soil for farming ensured their food source. The cold fusion power source it possessed is used for main power production.

Through their superb technology and establishment of trade routes with what’s left of the outside world, the settlement can’t help but flourish within only a few decades. Simply calling itself Vault City, the former fledgling community begins to ascertain its dominance within the region.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

27th of August, 2241 A.D.

Take a glimpse of the grandeur of Vault City, Citizen.

Do not let that fool you.

These are harsh times. We live in a period that will define the place of our great city in this god-forsaken world.

Although it is obvious for everyone to see that we are the ones who will lead humanity back to its former glory, some factions refuse to accept our ascendancy and will stop at nothing to hinder us.

Immediately to the North lies the mutant city of Gecko. Those filthy ghouls have been poisoning our underground water supply with that rickety power plant from old they have retro-fitted for their own use. We will crush them soon and their power plant will serve our expansion efforts once the squatters are cleared.

We have also to contend with continuous assaults from the Raiders coming immediately from the south. These barbarians frequently kidnap our townsfolk and burn our fields. They will be dealt with decisively as soon as our scouts locate their camp.

Situated a few hundred kilometers southwest is the city of New Reno. Lawless and run by “mobsters”, this city is a threat to our economic interests in the area, primarily the mining town of Redding nearby. The Bishop Family of New Reno presumes to offer an alliance with us, thinking they can betray us after we help them gain hegemony over the other families. They think we are not aware of their role in financing the raiders harassing our borders. No matter, they will all be conquered and their city of sin burned to the ground.

Far to the south is the biggest threat of them all, the New California Republic, composed of the 5 city-states of Shady Sands, Los Angeles, Maxson, Hub and Dayglow. They have the largest standing army we know of and entrenched within their government are fools who think that they can incorporate us into their precious republic. Although they have yet to commit a direct act of aggression, spies regularly sent within our borders sow chaos and black propaganda, while their diplomats assure us of their good intentions. But perhaps most important of all is the fact that they hold the strings on John Bishop and the raiders.

Within our own borders lives a large population of traders, farmers, miners and such who are aspiring for citizenship. These people of the ‘Courtyard’ are of great use to us and, provided they are eligible, will bestow a much-needed boost to our ranks. This should not stop you from keeping a close eye on them though, as enemy spies are most likely hiding amongst them.

So be vigilant, Citizen. Our high walls and numerous gun-towers should not lull you into a false sense of security. Even now we are most likely amongst agents of our aforementioned enemies, ready to pounce on any opportunity that will give them great advantage.

the factions are bolded.
Vault City(Town)
Gecko (Scum1)
Raiders (Scum2)
Bishop Family (Scum2)
New California Republic (Scum2)
Courtyard (Independents)
the first part is text from the Fallout wiki (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page) that I very slightly modified.

ELV
16 Feb 08, 04:19:00 PM
Is this a sign up thread? If so, I'm in + everyone else who has ever made one just got pwned.

th1nk3r
17 Feb 08, 01:30:51 AM
/in by default

plaridel
17 Feb 08, 01:32:30 AM
Yes. Sign up here.

btw, knowledge of the Fallout universe is not required. I will be posting more info as soon as I finish it.

Also, here are some vids from youtube to put you in the mood.

Fallout Intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkBNKa2KXZE)
Fallout 2 Intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3PXiV95kwA)
Fallout: Tactics Intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kxq3Rmq1ho&feature=related)

dancer_rnb
26 Feb 08, 09:44:49 AM
I'll probably sit this one out.

You forgot:

The Computer is your friend.
The Computer says so.
You believe the Computer, don't you?

SkepticTank
26 Feb 08, 09:47:28 AM
Put me in. Hopefully I'll have time to play again soon. The last few weeks have been rough

trillian
26 Feb 08, 11:06:13 AM
I'll play!

plaridel
26 Feb 08, 11:09:08 AM

You forgot:

The Computer says so.

What do you mean?

Tears On My Dong
26 Feb 08, 12:22:26 PM
1. Tears In The Rain
2. ELV
3. th1nk3r
4. SkepticTank
5. trillian

dancer_rnb
26 Feb 08, 12:34:34 PM

You forgot:

The Computer says so.

What do you mean?

There was a role playing game called Paranoia, where the refuge
was run by an insane computer.

plaridel
26 Feb 08, 12:50:06 PM

You forgot:

The Computer says so.

What do you mean?

There was a role playing game called Paranoia, where the refuge
was run by an insane computer.

Wow! Paranoia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_%28role-playing_game%29) looks very interesting. Thanks for telling me about that. I haven't actually played role-playing games outside of the computer but I am very much interested in them. I just don't have anyone to play with.

Tears On My Dong
26 Feb 08, 01:10:14 PM
Pen-and-paper rpgs are better than sex.

Pavlov's Dog
26 Feb 08, 01:11:23 PM
I'm in

plaridel
26 Feb 08, 02:51:31 PM
Pen-and-paper rpgs are better than sex.

With a really creative GM, I bet they are.:tongue:

Tenuous
26 Feb 08, 02:53:03 PM
I'm in!

Spenser
26 Feb 08, 03:32:42 PM
In of course, though I think you have a bit of time before you'll be up.

cockrell
27 Feb 08, 08:38:00 AM
in

Flux Capacitor
29 Feb 08, 08:40:42 PM
in

sonofsyd
5 Mar 08, 07:26:20 PM
in

enigma
6 Mar 08, 12:20:14 AM
Sign me up.

plaridel
8 Mar 08, 06:10:38 AM
I got carried away and typed 14 pages of material in 2 hours. A draft of the game mechanics I came up with/stole from other mafia games is posted on my blog. I have a feeling I packed too much stuff in. If anyone has any comments or questions, please post them on this thread.

jamesbannon
12 Mar 08, 01:20:05 PM
I'm playing young sibling! :)

Laughing Dog
13 Mar 08, 01:25:40 PM
Pen-and-paper rpgs are better than sex. You really need to get a partner.

I'm in.