PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3

plaridel
3 Feb 08, 09:32:42 AM
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/art/fallout3concept/concept08B.jpg

Anyone here a fan?:)

the WORST elf
3 Feb 08, 09:35:00 AM
I am, bigtime, but I know a lot of people hate Oblivion/Bethesda and expect this game to be a huge piece of crap. I know Raza is a huge fallout fan.

Personally, I like Bethesda, and will reserve judgment until I see the final product. A few of the previews I've read sound promising.

Rivers Cuomo Fan #754
3 Feb 08, 09:36:12 AM
i think it'll kick ass, and hope so too, just to piss off the NMA nerds

"omg you cant kill children GAME RUINED" SHUT THE FUCK UP

plaridel
3 Feb 08, 09:40:55 AM
lol. Well, they did take out the traditional isometric view.

I care much more about the backstory and the dark humor though. Even if it was made into an fps, I think I would still buy it.

plaridel
3 Feb 08, 09:42:12 AM
Also the faction profile for the BoS faction sounds promising.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/diaries_diary3-1.09.08.html

plaridel
3 Feb 08, 09:43:30 AM
i think it'll kick ass, and hope so too, just to piss off the NMA nerds

"omg you cant kill children GAME RUINED" SHUT THE FUCK UP

lol. I love shooting children in fallout. They're all thieves and pickpockets.

Rivers Cuomo Fan #754
3 Feb 08, 10:09:11 AM
lol. I love shooting children in fallout. They're all thieves and pickpockets.

yabut

it was hardly the soul of the game

every preview of it i have read seems promising

plaridel
3 Feb 08, 10:21:10 AM
Yes. I agree. I wouldn't miss it but I'd be pissed if they made the whole game pg-13.

seebs
3 Feb 08, 11:01:09 AM
My biggest worry is that Fallout was built around character traits -- everything was determined by character skill, from chance of persuasion to dialogue options to combat. Oblivion turns character skill into a nugatory afterthought, where major shifts in rank change the mechanics of an ability, but no matter what your character's archery skill is, you have to be the one arching the shots. That, to me, is the antithesis of an RPG, and I just don't think they're going to be able to make a game where you can play a character whose abilities aren't primarily determined by your own clicking speed and the like.

I played Oblivion about far enough to establish that I couldn't simply trust my character to hit the target I clicked on -- even with a sword, all that did was launch a generic swing which would impact other things first if they were nearby. Screw that! If I wanted to play a swordfighting sim, I wouldn't be looking for the phrase "RPG".

PiCroft
3 Feb 08, 02:07:01 PM
I'm hoping they keep the gory deaths - there was something utterly satisfying about shooting someone with a ray gun to either:

A) Watch them frazzle to a crisp before crumbling into dust

B) Watch them melt into a puddle of goo.

The death sequences for the ballistic weapons were awesome as well, although I did find it a bit odd that shooting someone with a pistol could occasionally blow a chunk of their ribcage out.

Ad Absurdum
3 Feb 08, 02:11:36 PM
i hear so much about these games but I have never played any of them. I'll check this one out whenever it's released.

Viscous Love
5 Feb 08, 01:12:12 PM
"How about... crunching up some numbers? You look like quite the scientist."

I am, bigtime, but I know a lot of people hate Oblivion/Bethesda and expect this game to be a huge piece of crap.

I don't really dislike Bethesda, but I'm seriously apprehensive about this. Oblivion and Morrowind were decent, overall, but aspects of both were just plain stupid. Inexcusably so. I don't want to have to make Barter my primary skill to keep from leveling up too fast (and with useless stat gains) and being mobbed by Enclave generals and supermutant field marshals that infest every square inch of the map. And if Bethesda implement thermoptic camo, it'd be nice if it wouldn't let me kill any creature and steal any object in the game without any effort whatsoever.

At least in Fallout it's appropriate for any and all wild animals who catch a glimpse of you to chase you halfway across the continent for no apparent reason, until you drop them with six or seven clips of armor-piercers to the head.

Edit: Oh, and it'd be nice if building my own suit of power armor gave me more science skill XP than taking a single glance at a geiger counter.