PDA

View Full Version : Financials Update

Matt
1 Feb 08, 07:28:53 AM
Howdy there.

We're one month into 2008 already, so I figured I better provide some sort of financial status update.

EXPENSES
RnR Server cost: $255/mo.INCOME

RnR's coffers (aka under my mattress): $856
Scheduled donation income: we're up to $60/mo.
Amazon.com referral income: I'm expecting a check for roughly $60 this month due to December purchases, but obviously future months will be a lot lower.
Cafepress.com income: We've generated I think $12, which isn't even enough to receive a check from them yet. HERE COMES THE MATH

If you add up the projected $120 we can expect this month total, with the projected $120 over the next two months, this combined with our coffers gives us 4 months of coverage after February (I've already paid for this month's). This means that at our current rate we would theoretically be behind come July.

Now, there are multiple donors with deep pockets willing to step up as a backup against us running out of money, but it's unfair, and in the long term unstable, to place the financial burden on just a few shoulders, so I think we should make it a goal to reach a community equilibrium regarding financing the server- the loss or addition of one donor shouldn't make our break our budget, nor should we be so want for resources that we're living "donation to donation" as it were.

Our entire current cost would be met by 50 people donating $5 monthly, or 25 donating $10 monthly. I don't think this is an unreasonable goal, and when supplemented by the occasional one-time donation and the trickle of amazon referral monies, we can build a secure financial base.

What steps, besides the obvious one of adding a $5 subscription to the donation page, do you think would help us achieve this? Do we need to sweeten the deal for subscribers beyond the 'donor' tag? Maybe change their tag to a "subscriber" tag? There's a fine line to cross between encouraging participation and creating a caste system here, and I don't want to lean too far over that boundary.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Plognark
1 Feb 08, 07:38:29 AM
Yeah, Donor/Subscriber tags are probably unnecessary.

Have you considered an unobtrusive adsense banner, or are people still vehemently opposed to the idea?

Matt
1 Feb 08, 07:44:09 AM
I'm personally vehemently opposed to the idea. Besides, on a site like this it'd generate maybe $15/mo (not that we don't get the traffic- but we're generally well-educated non-morons that don't click on random ad links).

Plognark
1 Feb 08, 07:50:08 AM
I'm personally vehemently opposed to the idea. Besides, on a site like this it'd generate maybe $15/mo (not that we don't get the traffic- but we're generally well-educated non-morons that don't click on random ad links).

Ok, that's cool...um...

Well hell, I'll chip in a couple of bucks.

How much for direct advertising again? I might have an ad-worthy project in the works soon, and I'd be happy to buy some ad space.

Matt
1 Feb 08, 07:52:22 AM
I don't think we've (RnR) ever had any sort of discussion regarding advertising and costs and such and so forth.

What sort of ads/sizes/colors/length of time are you thinking of?

Ishmael
1 Feb 08, 07:55:09 AM
schwag and a ban people contest

"Get Ishmael Banned, 1 dollar per day" or something

His Noodly Appendage
1 Feb 08, 08:01:44 AM
I dunno about anyone else, but I'm leery of ongoing payments that happen without my direct intervention.

Poke me with a sharp stick when the matress approaches the floor, and I shall cough up a chunk of change.

I bet there's many with the same attitude.

Plognark
1 Feb 08, 08:03:31 AM
I don't think we've (RnR) ever had any sort of discussion regarding advertising and costs and such and so forth.

What sort of ads/sizes/colors/length of time are you thinking of?

A month (for now), and quite possibly longer. I'd probably want to use a small jpeg image; like one of those 150x67 images IIDB uses, probably animated.

Koyaanisqatsi
1 Feb 08, 08:43:43 AM
I dunno about anyone else, but I'm leery of ongoing payments that happen without my direct intervention.

Poke me with a sharp stick when the matress approaches the floor, and I shall cough up a chunk of change.

I bet there's many with the same attitude.

Actually, I wouldn't mind a five dollar "ding" automatically taken out of my checking account or the like, so long as it's easy to cancel. It's the late-night-TV hucksterism that I don't trust, but I trust Matt.

Btw, I haven't donated anything yet, so Matt, PM me with details and I'm in for $100.

Matt
1 Feb 08, 09:06:21 AM
Well it's paypal, so you can cancel anytime. I created a $5 subscription button on the donor page now.

thoughtful
1 Feb 08, 09:12:21 AM
Your $100 February donation from thoughtful is in the can. Please feel free to pass the can around again when needed. :phone:

Jacey
1 Feb 08, 10:40:57 AM
I'm buying stuff from Amazon in the future so of course will use the link.

Will set up a paypal auto donation soon

d0t
1 Feb 08, 10:49:24 AM
Will make a one-time donation this year.
Would you like it now, or wait for the dollar to crash a bit more?

Matt
1 Feb 08, 11:30:44 AM

Save it for later. Like I said, we're good through June and it looks like we will be good through July now with recent donations.

There's a couple of minor costs down the road, but I plan to pay out of pocket for (domain name re-reg, software upgrade fee).

Henry-Finland
1 Feb 08, 11:43:46 AM
Can't you guys go and protest in front of the Finnish consulate in Washington?

Wear T-shirts like:

Fuck the system!
Finland needs Paypal!
Now!

You can also use my sig with some additional text like:
The time has come,
Paypal
to the hicks.

Better maybe if the last word is spelled 'hix'.

I will fix the media coverage.

Henry

Matt
1 Feb 08, 11:57:55 AM
Err, paypal's site shows that you can use it from Finland- they just don't have a custom site for Finland if I'm reading this correctly:

https://www.paypal.com/worldwide/

Spenser
1 Feb 08, 12:06:24 PM
I justed canceled Netflix so if you can up me from $10 to $20 per month that is fine, or do I have to figure out a way to do that through paypal itself?

Ishmael
1 Feb 08, 12:07:21 PM
I joined the 5 bucks per month thingy, that includes monthly handjobs from Spenser, right?

Henry-Finland
1 Feb 08, 12:09:04 PM
Err, paypal's site shows that you can use it from Finland- they just don't have a custom site for Finland if I'm reading this correctly:

https://www.paypal.com/worldwide/

I check it out.
The text on their site concerning Finland and other such countries:

Send. Receive. Withdraw to a Local or U.S. Bank Account or a card.

Send and receive payments in these countries. Withdraw from your PayPal account to your in-country bank account or to a U.S. bank account. In addition, withdraw to a credit, debit, or prepaid card in countries marked with a ().

Can't they explain so that a foreigner, in those countries, also understand?
Is this real English at all or is it some kind of "banco-mericanism" in telegraph form?

Henry

Matt
1 Feb 08, 12:13:56 PM
I justed canceled Netflix so if you can up me from $10 to $20 per month that is fine, or do I have to figure out a way to do that through paypal itself?
I have no control over subscriptions (otherwise I could just up yours to 1000 per month muahahaha).

You'd have to cancel and re-subscribe.

Ishmael: Rimjobs. Spenser's an ass man.

Koyaanisqatsi
1 Feb 08, 02:22:06 PM

Save it for later. Like I said, we're good through June and it looks like we will be good through July now with recent donations.

There's a couple of minor costs down the road, but I plan to pay out of pocket for (domain name re-reg, software upgrade fee).

My $100 offer stands, btw, so let me know when you need it.

Spenser
1 Feb 08, 02:42:59 PM
I have no control over subscriptions (otherwise I could just up yours to 1000 per month muahahaha).

You'd have to cancel and re-subscribe.

Ishmael: Rimjobs. Spenser's an ass man.

I'm going to have to wait till mid month then, hopefully I'll remember.

Matt
1 Feb 08, 02:44:31 PM

My $100 offer stands, btw, so let me know when you need it.

Well now or later, it's your choice. It all goes to hookers and blow anyways.

thoughtful
1 Feb 08, 03:05:01 PM
My $100 offer stands, btw, so let me know when you need it.Stop offering and just DO IT. Matt can always bank it.

Matt
1 Feb 08, 03:08:01 PM
My $100 offer stands, btw, so let me know when you need it.Stop offering and just DO IT. Matt can always bank blow it on coke.

Fixed it for you.

thoughtful
1 Feb 08, 03:09:23 PM
It all goes to hookers and blow anyways.What's with this obsession you have with hookers and blow jobs? On second thought, I don't want to know...

Sinister
1 Feb 08, 03:11:15 PM
It all goes to hookers and blow anyways.What's with this obsession you have with hookers and blow jobs? On second thought, I don't want to know...

They're traditional. Like the yacht.

Matt
1 Feb 08, 03:23:43 PM
You get bored on a yacht all day. Gotta do something.

Deadbeat
1 Feb 08, 03:24:38 PM
Hey, I signed up for a subscription and donated, but my profile still says I'm too cheap.

Is that because I only picked the $5 per month?

Matt
1 Feb 08, 03:34:06 PM
What's your email? Someone started a subscription, but I couldn't match the email address to any RnR members (I do all that stuff manually).

LuisGarcia
1 Feb 08, 03:38:58 PM
Matt, amongst other things, you should be congratulated on the openness and transparency of things around here.

Nialler
4 Feb 08, 08:44:00 AM
What's your email? Someone started a subscription, but I couldn't match the email address to any RnR members (I do all that stuff manually).

Was that on Saturday night? I was in the process of setting up a donation when my laptop died. When I recharged it and resumed the session it seemed to indicate that a donation had been made, but I know that this is impossible.

I set up a monthly transfer today and I've e-mailed you separately.

halii
4 Feb 08, 08:53:59 AM
What steps, besides the obvious one of adding a $5 subscription to the donation page, do you think would help us achieve this? Do we need to sweeten the deal for subscribers beyond the 'donor' tag? Maybe change their tag to a "subscriber" tag? There's a fine line to cross between encouraging participation and creating a caste system here, and I don't want to lean too far over that boundary.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.No access to the boob thread or ass thread without a subscription. ;)

Seriously, I think the subscriber tag won't create a caste system or anything like that. A lot of boards handle this by making you pay to have access to certain bandwidth hogging activities such as attachments (and searching the forums, which is a terrible restriction that is not for the best of the board). It probably isn't the best idea even in the restriction of the attachments, but I don't really have an opinion on that.

Medusa
12 Feb 08, 02:20:05 PM

You could just flat out charge us all a $5/month fee to use the forum.

Or

Only people who donate would be allow to vote and be eligable to be moderators.

Pavlov's Dog
12 Feb 08, 02:22:15 PM
Only people who donate would be allow to vote and be eligable to be moderators.

This would definitely cut down on the number of one liner trolls we have around here.

carin
12 Feb 08, 02:28:42 PM
Why not just start with a force-read of this thread. I'm sure lots of people will donate, they just don't think about it until you make them. I've been meaning to give a one-time donation, but just haven't gotten around to it. So now I will! :)

the WORST elf
12 Feb 08, 02:34:27 PM
who the F is lauren mccarthy?

Matt
12 Feb 08, 02:47:36 PM
My wife. Long story regarding the paypal account, but basically they're stupid and will neither let me change the name on the paypal account nor un-link the bank account from that paypal account.

the WORST elf
12 Feb 08, 02:51:38 PM
My wife. Long story regarding the paypal account, but basically they're stupid and will neither let me change the name on the paypal account nor un-link the bank account from that paypal account.

Ah. I thought maybe our money was going directly to the famed hooker so you could skip the pimp altogether.

Matt
12 Feb 08, 02:53:39 PM
If by 'hooker' you mean I have to bribe her for sex, you'd be right.

DMB
13 Feb 08, 07:11:09 AM
I am already signed up for a subscription, but I thought I might make a small extra one-off donation. But when I click on the Donate button, it doesn't look as though the non-subscription option is available to me. Am I being daft, or is this a glitch?

Lasting Damage
13 Feb 08, 07:29:37 AM
ten of your finest United States dollars are now winging their way to you via the internets.

DMB
13 Feb 08, 08:01:07 AM
I am already signed up for a subscription, but I thought I might make a small extra one-off donation. But when I click on the Donate button, it doesn't look as though the non-subscription option is available to me. Am I being daft, or is this a glitch?

Oops, sorry! It was me. I have now managed to do it. I was put off by the fact that the amount box had the amount of my subscription in it.

carin
13 Feb 08, 09:43:46 AM

You know what would be fun is to have people donate items for a cash donation. Like when snafu auctioned off her stuffed thingy. So, like I would be willing to bake chocolate chip cookies for a $25 donation from someone. Or if someone could figure out how I could safely send a cheesecake through the mail, I'd make a cheesecake for someone's $30 donation. That way, people with less cash, but more skill can still contribute.

The cookies are a real offer by the way. It's a one-time offer, so if someone is willing to donate $25 for the cookies, pm me.

SkepticTank
13 Feb 08, 10:01:09 AM
Matt check your PMs.

Febble
13 Feb 08, 10:19:17 AM
Matt, amongst other things, you should be congratulated on the openness and transparency of things around here.

QFT

Matt
13 Feb 08, 02:49:00 PM
ten of your finest United States dollars are now winging their way to you via the internets.

You cheap bastard! $10 USD is what? Two schilling these days? :p

(thanks)

Lasting Damage
14 Feb 08, 01:15:02 PM
about five quid, six euros fifty or about twenty minutes pay. Actually saying that it does sound really cheap.

enhacyshehype
27 Jan 13, 04:37:14 AM
I consider, that you are not right. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

Tyrannowhale
27 Jan 13, 05:25:46 AM
Sorry, enhacyshehype, but you have posted to a thread from RnR's ancient past, when people were willing to donate money and Amazon purchases and cookies to support this site. Alas, all of the people who posted in this thread, which was dead and buried almost FIVE YEARS AGO, have moved on to a new site. You can find them and talk to them there. The site is called Talk Rational. http://talkrational.org/index.php

Von Zipper
27 Jan 13, 08:31:53 AM
I just love to see new posters reaching out.