7 Jan 08, 03:59:51 PM
I'm obsessed.

Unorganized
7 Jan 08, 04:01:49 PM
I suck at it.

Mason
7 Jan 08, 04:02:54 PM
Ugh

I can't describe how much I hate this fucking game, but my grandmother loves it. Usually when I'm out of town seeing her, I end up having a polite conversation with her about it.

Come to think of it... she might enjoy one of those Sodoku books if I bought one for her, instead of waiting everyday for one puzzle in the newspaper...

Tears On My Dong
7 Jan 08, 04:02:57 PM
They're kind of fun, but I'm already addicted to cubing.

Spenser
7 Jan 08, 04:20:55 PM
I'm obsessed.

You spelled it wrong.

Spenser
7 Jan 08, 04:21:27 PM
Ugh

I can't describe how much I hate this fucking game, but my grandmother loves it. Usually when I'm out of town seeing her, I end up having a polite conversation with her about it.

Come to think of it... she might enjoy one of those Sodoku books if I bought one for her, instead of waiting everyday for one puzzle in the newspaper...

So did you.

Mason
7 Jan 08, 04:25:25 PM
It's really spelled "Sosucku"

Hahaha, burn

Spenser
7 Jan 08, 04:45:58 PM
Its actuallt sodakoo. The guy who thunk it up was drinking a Pepsi when in his wall clock went off. He went on to invent Boobtits Lube. Now that was a story.

Imaginary Mark
8 Jan 08, 06:09:47 PM
Sudoku is a pretty fun little game and a nice way to kill the time if you have to wait for something.

It's also a fun problem to write a solving program for. Here's a screenshot of mine.

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/233/sudoku01yh8.jpg

Do you see what the next move should be?

Here's a hint.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4510/sudoku02er4.jpg

lpetrich
10 Jan 08, 07:11:34 PM
I've written a Sudoku solver also, though mine is not as fancy as Imaginary Mark's solver is.

My solver uses a 9*9 array of text fields, lines to mark out the blocks, and "Clear", "Save", "Revert", and "Solve" buttons. I've thought of creating a tooltip for each text field to indicate all its permissible values, but I haven't done that, at least not yet. However, I have added a callback for each text field that checks to see if the value I'd entered for it is legitimate; if not, it will reject that value and beep.

It uses some simple algorithms to try to find all the unique additional values; it stops when it can find no more, even if it has not found a complete solution. If it can find no such additional values, it will beep.

My solver could not proceed beyond Imaginary Mark's configuration, so I experimented with some values and used the solver to try to complete the solution for them. I succeeded in finding a unique solution:
http://homepage.mac.com/lpetrich/Pix/SudokuSolved.png

Draygomb
29 Feb 08, 09:30:35 AM
I just started playing but only the hardest ones are interesting

I've been thinking about turning it into a 2-player game starting with a blank board
each player would take turns placing numbers anywhere on the board
The objective would be to force your opponent into making a move that reveals all of the center blocks numbers
If a player makes an invalid move his opponent gets the option of making him take an addition turn as well as making a proper move
So a mistake could cost you an extra turn

Gagundathar Inexplicable
29 Feb 08, 09:38:44 AM
I am not much of a fan of the game, but obviously quite a number of folks are.
I remember one flight from LAX to ATL. The passenger behind me was one of those sort of marginally insane folks that mutter to themselves under their breath. That is quite irritating for any amount of time, but this gal was playing Sudoku so the entire trip had a background soundtrack of "four... four... no uh five yeah five, ok... nine, eight, three, seven, no wait, eight, ok..."

For
The
Entire
Trip

The other passengers around us were asleep or had noise canceling headphones or maybe they found her constant meaningless babble to be soothing somehow. I, however, was tempted to turn around in my seat and shout at the top of my lungs "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU INSANE BITCH!" However, the airlines tend to discourage that kind of behavior.

So, I just sat there and tried to read.

Yes, I am pretty non-confrontational.
(That sounds better that admitting that I am a pussy.)

Lasting Damage
29 Feb 08, 10:02:38 AM
I am not much of a fan of the game, but obviously quite a number of folks are.
I remember one flight from LAX to ATL. The passenger behind me was one of those sort of marginally insane folks that mutter to themselves under their breath. That is quite irritating for any amount of time, but this gal was playing Sudoku so the entire trip had a background soundtrack of "four... four... no uh five yeah five, ok... nine, eight, three, seven, no wait, eight, ok..."

For
The
Entire
Trip

The other passengers around us were asleep or had noise canceling headphones or maybe they found her constant meaningless babble to be soothing somehow. I, however, was tempted to turn around in my seat and shout at the top of my lungs "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU INSANE BITCH!" However, the airlines tend to discourage that kind of behavior.

So, I just sat there and tried to read.

Yes, I am pretty non-confrontational.
(That sounds better that admitting that I am a pussy.)

I bought an electronic version for a friends birthday. wrapped it and told him he could open it on his 11 hour flight for something to do. I even bought batteries for it....

....but the battery cover had a screw and he couldn't open it until after he landed, heh.

Nialler
29 Feb 08, 03:03:25 PM
Does anyone else do the Killer?

It's a fantastic puzzle. But only at "Fiendish" level.

See the London Times on Friday and Saturday.

Here's Thursday's one: link (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/games_and_puzzles/sudoku/article3449620.ece). It's the last puzzle on the page. It suggests 45 minutes, but 6 or 7 is more real. Today's was a beaut. Should be available online tomorrow.

If you want to get proficient with the Killer, every week is a cycle in the LT. Starts easy peasy on Monday and builds up to the peak on Saturday.

Henry-Finland
29 Feb 08, 03:39:17 PM
Sudoku is a pretty fun little game and a nice way to kill the time if you have to wait for something.

It's also a fun problem to write a solving program for. Here's a screenshot of mine.

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/233/sudoku01yh8.jpg

Do you see what the next move should be?

Here's a hint.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4510/sudoku02er4.jpg
Nice.

The hint looks like my path in my living-room, looking for the last bottle I put somewhere.
Fuck, been sober since 1st of January, and this extra-day, the 29th has gone smoothly. Tomorrow it's my brothers 60th birthday. If I can fix that, I'm ready for the Olympics.
Do not expect too much, though. :tongue:

Henry

Tartantyco
29 Feb 08, 03:49:13 PM
-Sudoku sucks, end thread.