PDA

View Full Version : rep power = 2?

Patronus Potter
28 Dec 07, 09:22:44 AM
In my user CP, it says "Your reputation power is 2 points"... well, I just tried it out and I still give only one point. Everyone on the board should only have 1 rep power, right?

Pavlov's Dog
28 Dec 07, 09:32:46 AM
No. If you are in the secret cabal like me, then you give out 5 points.

Matt
28 Dec 07, 09:33:25 AM
Rep given is locked in at one, regardless of power. At some point in the future when I have time, I'll try to remove that text.

Tyrannowhale
28 Dec 07, 09:34:28 AM
My rep power says it's 4, but I just repped you, PP, and your rep only increased by 1 point.

I really like the 1 point rep system and I don't mind that I don't have increased "power."

Patronus Potter
28 Dec 07, 09:38:13 AM
Rep given is locked in at one, regardless of power. At some point in the future when I have time, I'll try to remove that text.

Thanks.

llDayo
28 Dec 07, 01:28:29 PM
Rep given is locked in at one, regardless of power.
That's good. I remember a certain other forum that dealt with a religion which has abused its power for millenia. Amazingly enough, its followers did the same with the ever expanding rep power that was gathered. Typical.

Lasting Damage
29 Dec 07, 01:52:39 AM
Rep given is locked in at one, regardless of power.
That's good. I remember a certain other forum that dealt with a religion which has abused its power for millenia. Amazingly enough, its followers did the same with the ever expanding rep power that was gathered. Typical.

oh CF and it's rep me threads where you had the exponentially growing rep that destroyed the whole point of rep, becaue all you had to do was go into one of the rep me threads and type "The lord cured my herpes and stopped me from masturbating, hallelujah" and thousands of people would rep you with "AMEN brother (was that before or after we did it?)"

Sinister
29 Dec 07, 02:01:12 AM
My rep power is 3, but I'd prefer it to stay at 1 point. My rep has been earned, and that gives me a quiet satisfaction. Every time rep gets out of control here, it's usually a handful of people who have outrageous amounts of rep, but everyone gets zeroed out. I'd like to actually keep my rep for once, so 1 point works for me.

Oolon Colluphid
2 Jan 08, 08:30:58 AM
One point ftw. It's the only way it's meaningful.

SkepticTank
2 Jan 08, 09:46:35 AM

I disagree.

Oolon Colluphid
2 Jan 08, 10:17:18 AM

I disagree.
I disagree with your disagreement :p

What would be the point of having people with different amounts of rep to give / withdraw? Who decides who gets more rep power than others?

Anything but equal amounts strikes me as anti-democratic. We only get one vote in decisions; 'one man one vote' and all that. Having differing amounts of rep to wave around is similar to having some people with more votes than others.

And if it's to be the same for all, the number may as well be 1. We could all have 2 (or 200, or 2168.3 recurring), but what's the point of that?

:shrug: :confused:

SkepticTank
2 Jan 08, 10:29:01 AM
Back in the good old days (before the Great Rep Reset of aught-seven) the rep you could give was proportional to the rep you had.

Tartantyco
2 Jan 08, 10:31:43 AM
(Required in a thread discussing power)

By the power of Greyskull, I have the power!

Godless Wonder
2 Jan 08, 10:54:52 AM
What does rep do? Is it there as just a kind of cosmetic doohickey, where you can look at a poster's rep, and say, "ah, some people liked this guy's posts 67 times in the past enough to click a little button." Or is there more to it than that?

I've found I kind of ignore rep... haven't been handing it out either, partly out of laziness, partly because I don't know what it does.

I remember CF had "blessings" and a million other strange things going on, this rep reminds me of that a little bit, which might have something to do with why I ignore it. :)

Tyrannowhale
2 Jan 08, 11:01:02 AM
You give rep if you approve of a post. You give negative (neg) rep if you disapprove of a post. When you see someone's rep points, yes, you realize that this person's posts were approved XXX times (unless it's neg-rep in which case you see that the person probably belongs on your ignore list).

Rep is serious to some, a game to others, meaningless to many.

ObiKenobi
2 Jan 08, 11:01:52 AM
What does rep do?

Nothing practically. It's just a way for people to show whether they like your posts or not.

B.S. Lewis
2 Jan 08, 11:12:22 AM

You are a lousy admin.

I say we vote Matt out right now.

:mob of angry smilies carrying torches and pitchforks:

ObiKenobi
2 Jan 08, 11:17:01 AM

You are a lousy admin.

I say we vote Matt out right now.

:mob of angry smilies carrying torches and pitchforks:

String him up!

SkepticTank
2 Jan 08, 11:21:35 AM
What does rep do? Is it there as just a kind of cosmetic doohickey, where you can look at a poster's rep, and say, "ah, some people liked this guy's posts 67 times in the past enough to click a little button." Or is there more to it than that?

Nope, that's prety much it.
Rep

Justin Z
2 Jan 08, 12:22:17 PM
Under the current system there is still potential for abuse, but I don't think it's too severe.

The best rep system I've seen only allows you to give four reps every 24 hours, and you have to give 10 reps to other posters in between repping the same person twice.

It has probably 10x the users as we do here though, so if you adjust for that, you can see that the system here is pretty well calibrated indeed.

Oolon Colluphid
3 Jan 08, 08:52:46 AM
Back in the good old days (before the Great Rep Reset of aught-seven) the rep you could give was proportional to the rep you had.
In which case, it depends what you want rep to do, to represent.

If it indicates popularity, then fine, it's just a game, and of no relevance at all: having lots of rep means no more than that you have lots of rep. It indicates, if anything, merely appreciation of people, not what they've written.

But I was taking it to suggest how appreciated one's posts have been.

It is the giving out that is then problematic, because it creates a disparity in the value of members' opinions.

Suppose Joe Bloggs has been here since May 07, has posted a lot, and has therefore gathered a bunch of rep. Fine, he's a nice guy an' all. But does that really mean that he does (or can) appreciate a given post more than Tom Smith, the newbie lurker? That Joe can give a post a bigger thumbs-up (or down) than Tom?

This is especially problematic if we use the system to indicate potential bannable people. Joe Bloggs, with his god-like giveth and taketh away power, can negrep someone a few times and sink them into negative figures... and do so far faster than a whole group of other members, if they're quieter types, could disagree with Joe.

In short, simple popularity (or mere longevity) shouldn't confer unelected power. Even if rep isn't Serious Business.

savagemutt
3 Jan 08, 08:57:16 AM
In which case, it depends what you want rep to do, to represent.

If it indicates popularity, then fine, it's just a game, and of no relevance at all: having lots of rep means no more than that you have lots of rep. It indicates, if anything, merely appreciation of people, not what they've written.

But I was taking it to suggest how appreciated one's posts have been.

It is the giving out that is then problematic, because it creates a disparity in the value of members' opinions.

Suppose Joe Bloggs has been here since May 07, has posted a lot, and has therefore gathered a bunch of rep. Fine, he's a nice guy an' all. But does that really mean that he does (or can) appreciate a given post more than Tom Smith, the newbie lurker? That Joe can give a post a bigger thumbs-up (or down) than Tom?

This is especially problematic if we use the system to indicate potential bannable people. Joe Bloggs, with his god-like giveth and taketh away power, can negrep someone a few times and sink them into negative figures... and do so far faster than a whole group of other members, if they're quieter types, could disagree with Joe.

In short, simple popularity (or mere longevity) shouldn't confer unelected power. Even if rep isn't Serious Business.

Its especially problematic for punks like me who just make uncontroversial posts that people will rally around so that my rep slowly builds up and it ends up looking like I actually have sound and well-respected opinions, rather than being the snivelling wishy-washy milquetoast that I really am.