PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Links

Matt
20 Nov 07, 09:10:04 AM
All amazon.com and amazon.co.uk links now automatically add RnR as a referrer- no special bbcode required! Simply type your link and it will automatically parse it upon submitting your post.

Could the first few people who buy something using our referral id (ranra-20) please let me know so that I can confirm we get the money properly?

Thanks,

Matt

Henry-Finland
20 Nov 07, 01:02:24 PM
All amazon.com and amazon.co.uk links now automatically add RnR as a referrer- no special bbcode required! Simply type your link and it will automatically parse it upon submitting your post.

Could the first few people who buy something using our referral id (ranra-20) please let me know so that I can confirm we get the money properly?

Thanks,

Matt

Jeeesus, Matt! Totally Hebrew for me, but....

..... is this the same as we say here up North, in plain Finglish:

"In North Ameriikka:
Go to Amazon, add /ranra-20 in the end of the address of Amazon."

"In Yurop:
Go to Amazon, add /ranra-21 in the end of the address of Amazon."

Folks! Wait until Matt has corrected me, if I am wrong. :D

Henry

Henry-Finland
20 Nov 07, 01:10:39 PM
When exactly should I add the ' ranra-21' in the end of the address?

When I found what I want to buy, but before I add it to the basket?
Or if I do it when I first time go to the Amazon page..., and they will remember all the time that I am a customer from RantsnRaves-organisation!

Or did I get everything wrong??? :(

Henry

Matt
20 Nov 07, 01:12:22 PM
Don't add anything. Just make an amazon.co.uk link here at RnR and the ranra-20 will automatically be added.

Henry-Finland
20 Nov 07, 01:30:31 PM
Don't add anything. Just make an amazon.co.uk link here at RnR and the ranra-20 will automatically be added.

Now I feel my self stupid, :o but as I am a very stubborn guy, I will ask:

"Just make an amazon.co.uk link here at RnR..."

I am not pulling your leg, I just do not understand. :confused:

I tried like this: in the address-box, where the RnR address is now, I put the
http://www.amazon.co.uk
and pushed the button => Amazon came, they got my name right [I am an old customer], offered me a watch, a bike and a (one) woman's right-foot shoe. [What kind of queero do they think I am?]

But it did not add anything into their address...? :(
It is just plain http://www.amazon.co.uk/

EDIT: When I copied and pasted the adress, the address here above, it changed, but still no ' ranra-21 '

EDIT 2: I took the "properties" of the address, and by Hecuba, there was a ' ranra ' seen in the address!

Henry

Oolon Colluphid
21 Nov 07, 08:39:38 AM
Testing, because it didn't seem to work when I posted it just now:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pronunciation-Essential-Superseding-Pronouncing-Dictionary/dp/0192807102

ETA: buggering hell, it works!

Now tell me, Matt: why haven't the twats (rhymes with flats ;)) at IIDB discovered this? All that time I've spent 'infidelising' links... :rolleyes:

Oolon Colluphid
21 Nov 07, 08:43:52 AM
Okay, a related point. Chrimbo is approaching, and I'll be doing a big Amazon shop soon. What's the best way to make sure you get the referral dosh? I could put the links in a disposable post, but I... don't really want everyone seeing what I'm buying! :D

Tenuous
21 Nov 07, 08:50:08 AM
If you want to keep referral cash for yourself, try using Quidco (http://www.quidco.com). They don't support Amazon AFAIK, but it works at Play and loads of other sites.

Could then use that as a donation fund :)

Beren
21 Nov 07, 09:04:38 AM
Right after I drop a few hundred bucks on holiday crap.

Bad timing.

Spenser
21 Nov 07, 09:11:17 AM
Check out these!

http://www.thebutchersblock.net/pb/wp_7a9b6eaa/images/img148574559dee9d506e.GIF

B.S. Lewis
21 Nov 07, 05:48:44 PM
Matt,

You decide how you feel about this, ethically. I haven't read Amazon's guidelines for making referrals so I have very little to go on. For all I know it might be explicitly forboden.

I buy stuff on Amazon ALL THE TIME - if you create a special thread for it, I will gladly create r'n'r links for each item and use those links to put the items in my cart before buying.

Imaginary Mark
21 Nov 07, 05:59:08 PM
It would be funny to see what kind of stuff we all buy.

Matt
21 Nov 07, 09:21:24 PM
Matt,

You decide how you feel about this, ethically. I haven't read Amazon's guidelines for making referrals so I have very little to go on. For all I know it might be explicitly forboden.

I buy stuff on Amazon ALL THE TIME - if you create a special thread for it, I will gladly create r'n'r links for each item and use those links to put the items in my cart before buying.

B.S. Lewis: Simply go to amazon via the link at the top of RnR. It automatically adds the referral for anything you buy for the next 24 hours assuming you don't click on someone else's referral link in the meantime.

By the way, we got our first referral money: $1.56 from whomever bought the ghost in the shell collector's box.

B.S. Lewis
21 Nov 07, 09:36:04 PM
So it's like a 1.5% cut. Not too bad.

Imaginary Mark
21 Nov 07, 09:39:35 PM
We should all announce the embarrassing stuff we buy here. :)

lpetrich
22 Nov 07, 12:27:15 AM
I've created this post (http://www.rantsnraves.org/showthread.php?p=112013#post112013) with this link:
Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0805074422) -- for Susan Jacoby's excellent book on that subject.

Will it work in its original form? Will I need to add /ranra-20 or /ranra-21 at the end?

If it won't work, please feel free to edit it appropriately.

Henry-Finland
22 Nov 07, 12:30:10 AM
Hi Matt!

I bought three books as follows:
1) I went to RnR pages, clicked on the 'Amazon-link' that is upstairs on the page.
2) I came to the 'US-Amazon'
3) I clicked on the 'United Kingdom'-link there and came to the UK-Amazon.

I bought the books via my daughters husband. His name is Mikko K.
I just tell his name, so that if you can check if RnR got any provision...
One of the books I bought war "Do Ants have Arseholes"

I did not sign me in, before buying, :o but that should not be a must... Or is it? I think also lurkers can help. Or?

If you need more info, in order to check, please write to me.

I would suggest that RnR would make 'heavy' advertisement on this opportunity to send money to RnR without costs.
Something like 'the other site' has, the three boxes above... I saw that you have already done this.

I would say that even a 'force-read' would be justified. If people thinks that it is annoying..., I mean that they do not want even to know how to help the site, what have they to do there in any case... [Not good English, but you understand].
Or maybe there could be an option to skip the force-read, something like: "If you do not want to know how to help our site without any costs for you, skip this read and go directly to lurking.. you, you.... klick here and keep your ignorance for yourself..."-button. ;)

Just my 2 cents. €-cents that is.

Matt!
Do not forget to tell here if RnR got any provisions.
[More than half of the Finns does not believe in any god, so i will tell all my friends how to do this through RnR/Amazon.]

One more question:

Does the readers here see all the umlauts, euro-character etc.?
Here:

See?

Henry

Matt
22 Nov 07, 06:12:40 AM
So it's like a 1.5% cut. Not too bad.
It's actually at current a 4.01% cut, which is huge. The thing is, whomever bought the "Ghost in the Shell" box bought a used copy from a third party and therefore paid much less than the retail price.

I've created this post (http://www.rantsnraves.org/showthread.php?p=112013#post112013) with this link:
Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0805074422) -- for Susan Jacoby's excellent book on that subject.

Will it work in its original form? Will I need to add /ranra-20 or /ranra-21 at the end?

If it won't work, please feel free to edit it appropriately.
It works. See the ranra-20 in the link properties?

Hi Matt!

I bought three books as follows:
1) I went to RnR pages, clicked on the 'Amazon-link' that is upstairs on the page.
2) I came to the 'US-Amazon'
3) I clicked on the 'United Kingdom'-link there and came to the UK-Amazon.

I bought the books via my daughters husband. His name is Mikko K.
I just tell his name, so that if you can check if RnR got any provision...
One of the books I bought war "Do Ants have Arseholes"

I did not sign me in, before buying, :o but that should not be a must... Or is it? I think also lurkers can help. Or?

If you need more info, in order to check, please write to me.

I would suggest that RnR would make 'heavy' advertisement on this opportunity to send money to RnR without costs.
Something like 'the other site' has, the three boxes above... I saw that you have already done this.

I would say that even a 'force-read' would be justified. If people thinks that it is annoying..., I mean that they do not want even to know how to help the site, what have they to do there in any case... [Not good English, but you understand].
Or maybe there could be an option to skip the force-read, something like: "If you do not want to know how to help our site without any costs for you, skip this read and go directly to lurking.. you, you.... klick here and keep your ignorance for yourself..."-button. ;)

Just my 2 cents. -cents that is.

Matt!
Do not forget to tell here if RnR got any provisions.
[More than half of the Finns does not believe in any god, so i will tell all my friends how to do this through RnR/Amazon.]

One more question:

Does the readers here see all the umlauts, euro-character etc.?
Here:

See?

Henry

I don't think your purchase worked that way. Unfortunately the link at the top is configured for the amazon.com page and it is doubtful it carried over to the amazon.co.uk page.

However, it takes a day or so for amazon to update my report, so it might not have gone through yet.

I'm still trying to see if ranra-20 will work for the co.uk pages as it was an associate account created through the .com. I have a separate UK account (ranra-21) we will use if ranra-20 doesn't work.

Matt

Henry-Finland
22 Nov 07, 08:08:10 AM
<snip>
I don't think your purchase worked that way. Unfortunately the link at the top is configured for the amazon.com page and it is doubtful it carried over to the amazon.co.uk page.

However, it takes a day or so for amazon to update my report, so it might not have gone through yet.

I'm still trying to see if ranra-20 will work for the co.uk pages as it was an associate account created through the .com. I have a separate UK account (ranra-21) we will use if ranra-20 doesn't work.

Matt
Good!
Because it would be most dreadful if RnR would not get its justified share of my ants ass'es. :D

One of the books was "Do Ants have Arseholes", as you remember.

Henry

B.S. Lewis
30 Nov 07, 11:17:13 PM
I ordered a book and 2 CDs (one was a Rolling Stones CD) new, plus 1 used CD from a third party. Hopefully it worked.

Matt
1 Dec 07, 04:16:47 AM
I'll let you know as soon as it updates. Their stupid tracker thing isn't real time-- it updates once daily. Also, the 'finders fee' isn't granted until your order ships, in case you cancel it before then.

Beren
1 Dec 07, 12:30:28 PM
Man I wish ebay did this. =P We just bought like 2 grand worth of crap from there. *sighs*

Maybe I'll buy a Wii off amazon, when they get another shipment.

Matt
2 Dec 07, 03:09:23 PM
I ordered a book and 2 CDs (one was a Rolling Stones CD) new, plus 1 used CD from a third party. Hopefully it worked.

Yup! It worked. The amount in bold is what RnR got.

Item NameSellerPriceReferral-Fee RateItems ShippedRevenueReferral Fees
Road to Perdition (Widescreen Edition) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005JLBQ)Third Party$1.073.74%1$1.07$0.04
MusicBlack and Blue (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000W5D)Amazon.com$8.974.01%1$8.97$0.36
Heavyweight Dub/Killer Dub (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001ZSZ4)Third Party$8.994.00%1$8.99$0.36
X-Ray Music (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000JSVD)Amazon.com$7.984.01%1$7.98$0.32

By the way, after people order 3 more things from Amazon, our referral rate goes up to 6%.

Beren
2 Dec 07, 03:21:48 PM
Can we throw a "we made a dollar" party? We should. That's a dollar.

Tenuous
2 Dec 07, 05:02:35 PM
Can you confirm what we should use for http://www.amazon.co.uk/ ? Is it OK to go via amazon.com via the link at the top of the page or should we use the link I cunningly just provided myself? :)

Matt
3 Dec 07, 05:54:01 AM
Tenuous- I can't confirm that the 'ranra-20' code will work with the UK site until somebody tries to buy something using it. I have a 'ranra-21' setup through the UK site if the ranra-20 doesn't work.

LuisGarcia
3 Dec 07, 06:03:16 AM
I'll be buying some things on the UK site in the next day or so, and I'm trying to do it through the links here. Will let you know once I have.

Oolon Colluphid
5 Dec 07, 02:03:10 PM
Right, well I'm posting this here to make sure the UK 'rana' thingummy works, as I want Matt to get his cut of this referral. Fingers crossed!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyson-DC18-Slim-All-Floors/dp/B000IENBS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1196888238&sr=1-1

Oh, it's ranra. I've always read it as rana (evidently). Matt, if poss,I'd like to know you got the dosh for this :).

Matt
8 Dec 07, 10:27:51 AM
I don't think I got it. What did you order, so I can keep an eye out the next week?

I know that ranra-21 works for UK, but it seems silly to require two separate accounts.

Henry-Finland
8 Dec 07, 10:50:27 AM
I don't think I got it. What did you order, so I can keep an eye out the next week?

I know that ranra-21 works for UK, but it seems silly to require two separate accounts.

Why?
Why silly?
We should also have rights you know!
Do not try to get yourself into a situation where you can boast that your yacht is "bought with American money only!"
We should have the equal right to fund your yacht! [or the rowing-boat that I suspect it to be.]

Yurpo-rights are trashed in USA! And you think that we will help you next time you free our Yurpo-lands?

No! No way!
We will just silently watch you killed by the Chino-Russskiis!

Henry,

much offended...

Matt
8 Dec 07, 08:13:18 PM
I think you took it the wrong way. It's silly on Amazon's part that their associate accounts don't work on their entire network of sites. They shouldn't care if I refer someone to .com or .co.uk- they get the money either way.

Henry-Finland
9 Dec 07, 05:22:27 PM
I think you took it the wrong way. It's silly on Amazon's part that their associate accounts don't work on their entire network of sites. They shouldn't care if I refer someone to .com or .co.uk- they get the money either way.

I was just joking. :D

No!, they do not get their money.
They lose a lot on this.

As far as I understand, they 'know' from my IP-number that I am from Finland.
Or?
If so, why do they not put up a program that when I google for amazon, I will automacially come to a page that gives me tree options, all in EU: UK, Germany and France.

I found out about Amazon USA, maybe 2001, but only 2007 I found out that they also sell inside EU. :eek:

And I have checked around here: Many thinks that Amazon is "US/Canada only" and outside it is "+ unknown custom-fees + 23% of VAT + VAT also on the stamps (the delivery costs) = no idea what you are paying for so do not order!".

Now, when guys like you Matt, made propaganda, free ads on your own pages, through your pages or whatever, that there is those other "within-EU-Amazons" also.. They could get much better sales...
But they are so commercially stupid that it hurts.

If anyone finds an e-mail address to their sales-department, (as if they would like to have feed-back... :rolleyes: ), please send it to me.
Btw. very few big firms want any feed-back, they are just riding their high horses...

There is a myth that US companies are squeezing everything out of the market/marketing, in order to get the last item sold.
Sorry, but there is shitloads of US companies in the internet that has no idea how to sell outside the anglo-world.

Henry

Oolon Colluphid
10 Dec 07, 03:59:09 AM
I don't think I got it.
Bugger! :mad:

What did you order, so I can keep an eye out the next week?
220 quid's worth of Dyson vaccum cleaner, which should have given you about $18, I think. Which is why I pasted the url here, hoping the software would add the appropriate 'ranra', or at least that, as the link had come directly from a page here, it'd work.

True...

So, supposing I wanted to add the referral tag manually, what elements are needed? I mean, suppose I go to Amazon as normal, would changing (overtyping) part of the item's url in the address do the trick?

anya14
10 Dec 07, 10:37:53 PM
blahblah is one of the best online tv portal, very well organised, no annoying popups or advertising.

Sitting Duck
18 Dec 07, 11:43:46 AM
Hi

Does it work with amazon.ca?

There's a couple books I'm planning on buying from amazon.ca during the holidays or in early january. I'd be happy to use whatever links or codes are needed to make sure you get yout small cut of the money.

Good luck with everything

Matt
19 Dec 07, 07:33:46 AM
You can try, but I really don't know.

B.S. Lewis
7 Jan 08, 07:42:23 PM
So how much have we raised through Amazon linkages? Would it be tedious to calculate? To guesstimate?

Matt
7 Jan 08, 08:21:54 PM
To date, $57.11, which isn't bad at all. However, they hold it for a month or two to make sure no one returns any of the commissioned products. I should receive the first of the commission checks at the end of this month, for anything bought in November.

Edit to add more info: RnR links generated $947.24 worth of purchases for amazon- 55 items.

Of course, nearly half the items were my own Christmas shopping, but whatever!

We start at 4% commission, but the more people order each month the higher it goes. By mid-December it was nearly 7%.

B.S. Lewis
7 Jan 08, 09:02:03 PM
Coolness. I'm about to contribute more.

Jacey
7 Jan 08, 09:19:28 PM
To date, $57.11, which isn't bad at all. However, they hold it for a month or two to make sure no one returns any of the commissioned products. I should receive the first of the commission checks at the end of this month, for anything bought in November.

Edit to add more info: RnR links generated $947.24 worth of purchases for amazon- 55 items.

Of course, nearly half the items were my own Christmas shopping, but whatever!

We start at 4% commission, but the more people order each month the higher it goes. By mid-December it was nearly 7%.

Good good, I gave mom and sis the link, made a icon for it on her PC, hope she used it. Got xmas and bday stuff from there

Matt
7 Jan 08, 09:24:43 PM
what are some of the items you purchased? I can see if they're on the list.

Jacey
7 Jan 08, 09:25:57 PM
what are some of the items you purchased? I can see if they're on the list.

Cool

I didnt buy anything off it, but mom got me Assassin's Creed (XBox 360 game), we'll see what I got for the bday tomorrow.

Matt
7 Jan 08, 09:28:30 PM
Assassin's Creed registered.

Man, I want an X-box, too. All these great games, no longer coming to PC... Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Force Unleashed, Simpsons, GTA4....

Jacey
7 Jan 08, 09:29:56 PM
Assassin's Creed registered.

Man, I want an X-box, too. All these great games, no longer coming to PC... Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Force Unleashed, Simpsons, GTA4....

Good job mom..........

Yea get a 360, I love it

LuisGarcia
20 Jan 08, 11:16:24 AM
buying some things soon, Matt.

Matt
20 Jan 08, 11:19:11 AM
Change the 20 to a 21 at the end. I need to redo the script. Amazon's referral program doesn't give you money for .co.uk for some reason, so I had to create a separate UK account.

LuisGarcia
20 Jan 08, 11:23:44 AM
ok, will do

LuisGarcia
20 Jan 08, 12:23:29 PM
curious. it's stopped working

LuisGarcia
25 Jan 08, 05:13:43 AM
Trying another one

Matt, it's still putting -20 on the end. I'm copying the link back out and manually changing it to 21, but can you let me know if this is working as when I do that it takes me back to a front page rather than the actual product.

Ta

Matt
26 Jan 08, 07:53:44 PM
.co.uk should be fixed, now. Test: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VZG2S8/ref=amb_link_macro_53896265

Tenuous
17 Feb 08, 09:23:32 AM
Making myself a link (buying a new clock!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weather-Station-Wall-Clock-75AM11TH12/dp/B000H7AFTC/ref=sr_1_78?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1200603071&sr=1-78

Tenuous
27 Feb 08, 03:51:33 PM
Speakers for the wife :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intempo-IDS-01b-Speakers-Docking-Station/dp/B000BX0SUI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1204152598&sr=8-1

Tenuous
20 Jul 08, 12:23:24 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-63-16C-Electric-Hedge-Trimmer/dp/B0001MQ7X6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=diytools&qid=1216578181&sr=8-2