PDA

View Full Version : Mafia / Werewolf next game signup

th1nk3r
14 Nov 07, 12:02:53 PM
I have 2 ideas to make the game more interresting and keep everyone involved.

One of them is to resurrect The Street theme and have two groups of people play separately on 2 threads, one in prison and one in the hood.

The other is to have an "all information" game where everyone is some kind of seer and they have to figure out which kind.

I will put both of them in practice, hopefully some time before xmas. Seems like I'll have some free time again in the coming 2 weeks, so i'll do one of them now, which ever you prefer. Sign up and vote in the poll to take you pick. I chose the one with lots of seers for now, although it will take a shitload of work for the night moves.

jamesbannon
14 Nov 07, 12:13:02 PM
I like the idea of all information Mafia.

ELV
14 Nov 07, 12:14:03 PM
I'm in, street predated me here and I would love to try it.

Tom Sawyer
14 Nov 07, 12:20:32 PM
I like the idea of everyone being some kind of seer.

d0t
14 Nov 07, 12:50:27 PM
Could you elaborate on the 'street' rules?

Sarpedon
14 Nov 07, 12:52:29 PM
Just look at the old street games. Its fun.

And after thinker does this, I wouldn't mind trying Beirut.

th1nk3r
14 Nov 07, 12:58:05 PM
Could you elaborate on the 'street' rules?

The original street is just a werewolf theme with non-supernatuyral roles, where the cops are bad and the pimps and drug dealers are normal folks.

My version is smth like this: some people are in prison, some on the street, there's limited flow of information. Streeties vote to frame whoever they suspect is an undercover cop to go to prison during the day, cops arrest someone at night. In prison there's one kill and one escape per cycle (also by majority vote, prisoners decides who gets to use the tunnel every night).

Goal of the cops is to achieve at least parity on the outside, or if they get inside to win the escape vote.

Also, people can only read the thread of the place they are in, and there's no private communication between the factions, only a message that is collectively drafted in the street public thread every day.

SkepticTank
14 Nov 07, 01:01:23 PM
I'm in. I don't care which version, this shit is addictive.

Imaginary Mark
14 Nov 07, 01:26:41 PM
Also, people can only read the thread of the place they are in, and there's no private communication between the factions, only a message that is collectively drafted in the street public thread every day.

This was sounding like a really cool idea right up to this point.

d0t
14 Nov 07, 02:03:35 PM
Vote for the seer thing then, the street game would take a really long time with the current amount of mafia players.

Tears On My Dong
14 Nov 07, 03:16:58 PM
You don't ever have to ask me. Whatever game you decide to start, just always put my name on.

Pavlov's Dog
14 Nov 07, 03:21:32 PM
I am in if I don't get banned.

jamesbannon
14 Nov 07, 03:26:25 PM
You won't.

beyelzu
14 Nov 07, 06:29:12 PM
You don't ever have to ask me. Whatever game you decide to start, just always put my name on.

ditto

always, sign me up

Ad Absurdum
14 Nov 07, 07:06:02 PM
prison break variant sounds like it would be a very nice change of pace.. lets do that!!

Jacey
14 Nov 07, 08:00:15 PM
put me in ftw

Beren
14 Nov 07, 08:26:21 PM
So fucking confusing.

But I'm in.

Monkey Pants
15 Nov 07, 01:14:04 AM
I'm skipping the next one, because the game action that happens in the afternoon for most people happens after midnight here - and doing more than one in a row interferes with my sleep and my family life too much.

But I'll run a Cthulhu Mythos game between Think3r's two games if people want that...

dancer_rnb
15 Nov 07, 08:48:40 AM
I'm skipping the next one, because the game action that happens in the afternoon for most people happens after midnight here - and doing more than one in a row interferes with my sleep and my family life too much.

But I'll run a Cthulhu Mythos game between Think3r's two games if people want that...

Need help writing death/lynch scenes?

Monkey Pants
15 Nov 07, 09:53:26 AM

I've already got all the roles (they are somewhat non-standard - and have some unique abilities I've not seen used before) and methods of death sorted. You'll be able to work out who was killed by who (or what) by how they died.

In fact, everything - even the detailed order of night-time activities and what happens when the powers of the different roles interact and potentially clash - is ready to go.

Spenser
15 Nov 07, 11:44:57 AM
Just look at the old street games. Its fun.

And after thinker does this, I wouldn't mind trying Beirut.

I want to give this one a whirl.

Spenser
15 Nov 07, 11:47:23 AM
If we play a Mafia game and get a large number of participants, no one be surprised when I am ansy to get the first few lynches over with quickly...

beyelzu
15 Nov 07, 12:43:17 PM

if someone runs one mafia style there is no time limit.

so the action happens just whenver that is the advantage of mafia.

beyelzu
15 Nov 07, 12:44:13 PM
If we play a Mafia game and get a large number of participants, no one be surprised when I am ansy to get the first few lynches over with quickly...

vote spenser for being so quit to lynch innocents.

btw should we post a sign up thread somewhere else here to let more new comers know about the game forum if they havent visited it?

Sarpedon
15 Nov 07, 02:13:34 PM
sign me up for whatever kind of game you wish. I don't know much prison slang so I doubt I'd be as amusing in these games as you are used to, by my halidom.

Monkey Pants
15 Nov 07, 04:24:48 PM

How does that work? If someone gets a majority of the vote, what then? Do you have to wait for the person running the game to get online and adjudicate the lynching? Does everyone simply stop posting and declare "Dusk", or do people continue, or what?

dancer_rnb
15 Nov 07, 09:32:38 PM

I've already got all the roles (they are somewhat non-standard - and have some unique abilities I've not seen used before) and methods of death sorted. You'll be able to work out who was killed by who (or what) by how they died.

In fact, everything - even the detailed order of night-time activities and what happens when the powers of the different roles interact and potentially clash - is ready to go.

I look forward to it. I read a lot of lovecraft mythos thirty five years ago.

ELV
15 Nov 07, 10:15:16 PM
sign me up for whatever kind of game you wish. I don't know much prison slang so I doubt I'd be as amusing in these games as you are used to, by my halidom.

just call every killing a shanking and you'll be good

Nightson
15 Nov 07, 11:49:33 PM
How does that work? If someone gets a majority of the vote, what then? Do you have to wait for the person running the game to get online and adjudicate the lynching? Does everyone simply stop posting and declare "Dusk", or do people continue, or what?

If someone reaches majority while the mod isn't present then it's twilight yes. When the mod gets there he locks the thread and writes up the death scene.

Monkey Pants
16 Nov 07, 02:43:18 AM

If someone reaches majority while the mod isn't present then it's twilight yes. When the mod gets there he locks the thread and writes up the death scene.

So presumably what simply happens is that when a vote is reached, the game stops until the Ref is online and adjudicates the lynching - and then as soon as the Ref is online again and has received (and processed) all the night moves he declares it the start of a new day and play starts again?

That sounds like it could be much better - but how do you get around the problem that it is easy to miss a "day" accidentally if someone reaches a majority status quickly while you're offline?

Is there some kind of quorum as well - so, for example if there are currently 15 players, majority is 8 votes (more than 50%) but there need to have been at least 12 votes (more than 75%) cast, or something like that?

beyelzu
16 Nov 07, 11:58:48 PM

nightfall gets declared the moment someone gets a majority of votes.

beyelzu
17 Nov 07, 12:01:08 AM

So presumably what simply happens is that when a vote is reached, the game stops until the Ref is online and adjudicates the lynching - and then as soon as the Ref is online again and has received (and processed) all the night moves he declares it the start of a new day and play starts again?

That sounds like it could be much better - but how do you get around the problem that it is easy to miss a "day" accidentally if someone reaches a majority status quickly while you're offline?

Is there some kind of quorum as well - so, for example if there are currently 15 players, majority is 8 votes (more than 50%) but there need to have been at least 12 votes (more than 75%) cast, or something like that?

nope it generally doesnt come up.

also whenever someone sees that nightfall has happened they can go ahead and send in their night actions if they want. the first couple of game days in mafia move really slowly. 3-4 days of real time.

trillian
17 Nov 07, 12:34:55 PM
Have we decided who what and when yet?

I'm in. After turkey day weekend please.

th1nk3r
17 Nov 07, 04:55:18 PM
We haven't decided because the 2 main choices have 4 votes each.

Also: usually the main difference between mafia and werewolf is time limit, but in this case i think the all information mafia will have limits too, but i'll still call it mafia because:

1 there will be no private communication allowed, except for the mafiosi of course.
2 i'm too lazy to edit the poll option (dunno if i can though, even if i wanted to).

beyelzu
17 Nov 07, 11:33:27 PM
i am moving to first shift this week so the time limit isnt a big deal for me, but maybe we should have a late time limit.

Nightson
18 Nov 07, 02:30:59 AM
/in

I'm really in favor of there not being limits set right from the outset, a deadline being set if discussion is lagging is fine, but I think giving town time they need to discuss stuff, as well as requiring people to do things like cast the lynching vote.

I personally like all information mafia more, it's especially fun for scum having to fabricate investigation results.

Monkey Pants
18 Nov 07, 02:54:03 AM
Think3r,

You got in first, so you get the choice - but if you need time to work out the details of roles and things then my game is ready to start immediately if you would prefer to wait.

No problem if you are ready to go... I'll wait my turn.

th1nk3r
18 Nov 07, 05:39:52 AM
@MonkeyPants: I'd like to go first... it's not that I have 2 games, it's because I'm definitely free for the next 2 weeks but after that I'm not sure of my schedule.

Except for Monkey Pants, who specifically stated he wants to skip (lemme know if you cjange your mind), I will assume everyone active here wants to play, unless they take themselves off the list by tonight. Or you can not vote for 2 days in a row and that gets you godkilled for inactivity. We start on monday morning. We play the all information thingy this time unless prison street gets a shitload of votes really fast.

Here's the list of all the people that posted in the thread or voted in the poll:

1. jamesbannon
2. ELV
3. Tom Sawyer
4. d0t
5. Sarpedon
6. SkepticTank
7. Imaginary Mark
8. Tears
9. beyelzu
10. Pavlov's Dog
11. Ad Absurdum
12. Jacey
13. Beren
14. dancer_rnb
15. Spenser
16. Nightson
17. trillian
18. Tom Sawyer
19. Tenuous

Signup is still open until the last minute...

The game will work like this: random 4-5 mafia, one of them kills at night, the others have the power to force a good read, a bad read, or a reversed read on their targets, regardelss of the kind of seer the targets are. When the killer dies, someone has to give up their power and take his place.

Any questions or suggestions?

Monkey Pants
18 Nov 07, 06:04:32 AM
Are you doing the "majority at a fixed deadline" or the "absolute majority whenever it occurs" system? It's not clear which you ended up deciding on.

If the latter, then I'm in - but I can't do another game with a 1AM (my time) fixed deadline again for a while. My family would kill me...

th1nk3r
18 Nov 07, 06:10:52 AM
Since the town is full of seers, there are no other specials like a vigilante, so we're restricted to 2 kills per cycle. No time limits means the game will prolly take 3 weeks. 1 week for the first 2 cycles is srsly not cool, so I decided we'll go for a deadline (prolly 9 PM EST), with early nightfall if someone gets half+1 votes. Or we could have deadlines for the first 3 days, and then go for majority only...

Still dunno what to do about the mayor... i guess he'll be included by popular demand, i'd hate to break the ties with random.org

Monkey Pants
18 Nov 07, 06:33:36 AM
Since the town is full of seers, there are no other specials like a vigilante, so we're restricted to 2 kills per cycle. No time limits means the game will prolly take 3 weeks. 1 week for the first 2 cycles is srsly not cool, so I decided we'll go for a deadline (prolly 9 PM EST), with early nightfall if someone gets half+1 votes. Or we could have deadlines for the first 3 days, and then go for majority only...

Still dunno what to do about the mayor... i guess he'll be included by popular demand, i'd hate to break the ties with random.org

How does 9PM EST compare with the game we just had? Is it before or after?

d0t
18 Nov 07, 06:50:47 AM

Wiki says UTC -5. PST is UTC-8

So, the deadline is exactly the same as the previous game.

trillian
18 Nov 07, 08:29:50 AM

Compared to last game, 9pm EST is one hour later ( it would translate to 6pm PST).

EST is New York time.

eta: That's 2am for the UK and 3am for western Europe

mrickaby
18 Nov 07, 09:13:38 AM
Trillian has it right, days ended in the last game for me at 8PM here on the east coast.

Sign me up for this one. I was going to skip for the holiday, but I should be around most of that day, only going to be out for a couple hours.

Monkey Pants
18 Nov 07, 09:38:17 AM

Compared to last game, 9pm EST is one hour later ( it would translate to 6pm PST).

EST is New York time.

eta: That's 2am for the UK and 3am for western Europe

That's me out, then. There's no way I can stay up till a 2am deadline, since I have to leave for work each morning at 6:30am. The 1am deadline was seriously pushing it...

dancer_rnb
18 Nov 07, 09:47:48 AM
I'm out because of the holiday.
Too busy atwork, then gone.

Spenser
18 Nov 07, 09:58:57 AM
Watch out Tears!!! I'll be running for Mayor...

Tears On My Dong
18 Nov 07, 12:27:08 PM
Watch out Tears!!! I'll be running for Mayor...

I'll be voting for you. I'm more of a detective/advisor type. I'm not much of a leader since no one ever trusts me and a lot of people hate me anyway. I'll just sit back and figure out what's what. It would be easier to get the bad guys lynched if I let someone else fos them for me.

the WORST elf
18 Nov 07, 03:32:35 PM
I'm officially declaring my candidacy for mayor. Can't let Spenser go uncontested.

SkepticTank
18 Nov 07, 04:20:22 PM
fuckit me too.

vote BigJim

Ad Absurdum
18 Nov 07, 04:40:34 PM
I am the serial killer!

post # 777

Matt
18 Nov 07, 04:59:14 PM
If we play something non-dorky (I'm looking at you, D&D and Star Trek themed games), sign me up. My favorite is The Street.

th1nk3r
18 Nov 07, 05:07:52 PM
1. jamesbannon
2. ELV
3. Tom Sawyer
4. d0t
5. Sarpedon
6. SkepticTank
7. Imaginary Mark
8. Tears
9. beyelzu
10. Pavlov's Dog
11. Ad Absurdum
12. Jacey
13. Beren
14. dancer_rnb mrickaby
15. Spenser
16. Nightson
17. trillian
18. Tom Sawyer
19. Tenuous
20. damian
21. Matt

The vote is tied again... make up your minds, people :confused: I have to send out some roles on monday morning, we need a result in the next few hours.

Sarpedon
19 Nov 07, 08:48:43 AM
I don't really care, but the prison break game sounds like it would be really long, and be very complicated.

Marcus
19 Nov 07, 11:21:44 AM
Sign me up.

1. jamesbannon
2. ELV
3. Tom Sawyer
4. d0t
5. Sarpedon
6. SkepticTank
7. Imaginary Mark
8. Tears
9. beyelzu
10. Pavlov's Dog
11. Ad Absurdum
12. Jacey
13. Beren
14. dancer_rnb mrickaby
15. Spenser
16. Nightson
17. trillian
18. Tom Sawyer
19. Tenuous
20. damian
21. Matt
22. mefisto

th1nk3r
19 Nov 07, 11:22:44 AM
I'm good to go, I'll send the roles and open day 1 as soon as i get a fresh new subforum for this game.

enigma
19 Nov 07, 11:24:27 AM
Sign me up.

Sarpedon
19 Nov 07, 01:26:13 PM
hey enigma, could you introduce yourself a bit? :D I'm Sarp, most people already know me. I enjoy roleplaying these games.

Tom Sawyer
19 Nov 07, 01:38:47 PM
Sign me up.

His first and only post is this one line statement.

There's something rather enigmatic about this guy.

Tears On My Dong
19 Nov 07, 01:48:08 PM
I'm good to go, I'll send the roles and open day 1 as soon as i get a fresh new subforum for this game.

You can start the thread in this forum and we can move it when Spenser makes the subforum.

th1nk3r
19 Nov 07, 01:56:46 PM
You can start the thread in this forum and we can move it when Spenser makes the subforum.

well, i was buying some time to setup the game, because the street got a lead in the poll. but it was 2 votes down this morning, so i got ready for the all info thing. if we start now, we'll have to play that.

Tears On My Dong
19 Nov 07, 02:02:24 PM
do it

jamesbannon
19 Nov 07, 02:08:43 PM
Yep.

Tom Sawyer
19 Nov 07, 02:21:47 PM
I'll change my vote to street to help get things moving

Monkey Pants
19 Nov 07, 03:07:56 PM

I wouldn't trust this one - he's changing his vote at the last minute. That's always a good scum tell...

Tom Sawyer
20 Nov 07, 08:05:25 AM

I wouldn't trust this one - he's changing his vote at the last minute. That's always a good scum tell...

Stupid noob. Any real player knows that this is a fake scum tell and confirmation that I'm a good guy.

enigma
20 Nov 07, 09:52:01 AM
hey enigma, could you introduce yourself a bit? :D I'm Sarp, most people already know me. I enjoy roleplaying these games.

[Kosh Voice]
Yes
[/Kosh Voice]

Ok, seriously:

I'm a long time lurker and occasional poster at IIDB who came across this place during the recent troubles with IIDB. I've been in a couple similar roleplaying games before (Werewolf).

Spenser
20 Nov 07, 10:54:53 AM
So what are we waiting for? Oh yeah, a game where we have traditionally a few non-active players we require every one send in night actions. Th1nk3r has out thunk himself again...

Sentinel
20 Nov 07, 12:10:59 PM
Let me in to the next game, coach!

Tears On My Dong
20 Nov 07, 01:02:10 PM
Let me in to the next game, coach!

Monkey Pants and damian are setting up games already. I'm doing one after those.

Tom Sawyer
20 Nov 07, 01:24:27 PM
I want to do one too. I'll stand in line behind Sentinel.

Spenser
20 Nov 07, 01:30:49 PM
Sent wants to play so you'd be after MP and damian. I thought ST wanted to do Beirut too?

Sentinel
20 Nov 07, 02:16:22 PM
I just wanna play. Fuck that GMing shit. It's for suckers.

Uhh... I mean... selfless, hardworking folks...