PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for some non-Mafia games?

Monkey Pants
30 Oct 07, 05:42:07 AM
I was thinking of running a game of Ready, Aim, Fire or a game of The Assassination Game.

Neither are related to Mafia - and either could run independently and concurrently.

Any interest?

beyelzu
30 Oct 07, 05:53:47 AM
yes definitely, i loves games

hell we are playing diplomacy at ff right now.

so can you say what these games are about?

Monkey Pants
30 Oct 07, 06:29:10 AM
Ready, Aim, Fire

Ready, Aim, Fire is a bluffing game that works in rounds like Mafia except that it is every person for themselves (but that doesn't mean that the players can't make temporary alliances).

During each "day", players can talk to each other (publicly on a thread or via PM) and make whatever threats and pleas that they wish. By the end of each day, each player must have sent a PM to the Referee with one of three commands:

Ready a defense against possible attack.
Aim - effectively doing nothing.
Fire at another player.

The results are then calculated for each player individually, as follows...

If you Readied and were Fired upon by at least one opponent, all those opponents are killed and out of the game.

If you Readied but were not Fired upon by anyone, you are killed and out of the game.

If you Aimed and were Fired upon, you are killed and out of the game.

If you Aimed and were not Fired upon, you survive the round.

If you Fired at someone, and that person Readied then you are killed and out of the game.

If you Fired at someone, and were also Fired upon yourself, then you are killed and out of the game (this happens even if the person you fired at is the person who fired at you - in which case you both die).

If you Fired at someone, and no-one Fired at you, then you survive the round.

So the aim of the game is to predict whether people will be shooting at you or not - since defending yourself is effective only if you are attacked, but unintended suicide if you are not attacked.

The winner is the last survivor. Since it is possible that the last few survivors will die at the same time (shooting each other, for example) it is possible for there to be multiple winners.

If people wish, the players can be divided into two or more teams at the start of the game. In this case, players may only fire at people on other teams - and the winning team is the last team with surviving members.

Monkey Pants
30 Oct 07, 06:47:29 AM
The Assassination Game

Unlike the other games, this is a stealth game played throughout the forum.

Once all the players have signed up, their order is randomised by the Referee into a circular list. The order of players on the list is kept secret by the Referee.

Each player is then PMed with the name of the person who is ahead of them on the list, and must "kill" that person. Naturally, since the list is circular, each player will themselves be the target of an assassin.

To "kill" another player, one must make two posts that sandwich the post of the intended victim. This can happen anywhere on the board, but the posts of other members cannot come between the posts of the assassin and victim. In other words...

Assassin
Victim
Assassin

Would mean that the victim has been successfully killed, but...

Assassin
Victim
Bystander
Assassin

would not count.

If an assassin manages to "kill" the victim, they immediately send a PM to both the victim and the Referee containing a link to the victim's post that was sandwiched.

The victim is then out of the game, and the successful assassin is assigned a new target - the target that the victim was stalking.

This continues until there is just one player left, who is declared the winner.

Note that there is no specific thread created for this game. The "assassinations" can happen on any thread in the board. So the objective is to write posts that tempt other players to respond (so that you can reply back and "kill" them) without making them too suspicious and therefore making them deliberately avoid responding to your posts. Bear in mind that all players will know who else is playing, but will not know who is still alive and who is dead (since that would mean that the game would stalemate as the last few players simply refuse to follow each others' posts). Observant players may notice the "kills" of other players themselves, however and therefore deduce who is out of the game and who is still in. Although the referee will not reveal who is still alive and who is dead, he will periodically (at his discretion) reveal the total number of deaths that have occurred.

To avoid players simply not posting, if any player goes for a period of 24 hours without posting, they are killed automatically and their target is re-assigned to the assassin stalking them.

PiCroft
30 Oct 07, 06:54:50 AM
Assassin sounds interesting.

I'll be in that, assuming enough people sign up.

Jacey
30 Oct 07, 07:31:05 AM
I've liked games ever since I played doctor as a kid

Tears On My Dong
30 Oct 07, 11:09:25 AM
I will play either or both of those games.

ELV
30 Oct 07, 11:20:05 AM
assassination sounds fun

post tenebras lux
30 Oct 07, 11:29:38 AM
When I grow up, I want to play:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/MorningtonCrescent_roundel.jpg

Mornington Crescent, please.

the WORST elf
30 Oct 07, 12:06:22 PM
Ready aim fire sounds iffy. Way too much luck involved.

Assassination, however, sounds awesome. Sign me up.

th1nk3r
30 Oct 07, 03:00:01 PM
Assassination is cool, a local newspaper had a 150 man real life game with squirt guns last summer, just random people signing up and having to squirt their targets in public and then taking a picture as proof. That was hilarious :)

I wanna play assassination too, but i think the mafia section of the forum should not count, so we don't end up making stupid posts in one game just to win the other. mafia is a team game, we shouldn't be put in a position to possibly hurt the team with a not so well thought out post just for winning in the solo game.

beyelzu
31 Oct 07, 12:44:47 AM
I've liked games ever since I played doctor as a kid

i thought you played proctologist.

beyelzu
31 Oct 07, 12:46:02 AM
i would also love to play assassination

and i agree that the mafia forums should be a safehaven zone where no deaths take place.

Rivers Cuomo Fan #754
31 Oct 07, 06:43:30 AM
d&d 3.5 dark sun anyone?

PiCroft
31 Oct 07, 12:57:03 PM
Are people still wanting to play assassin?

Cos the list seems to be as follows:

1)PiCroft
2)Tears
3)ELV
4)Damien
5)th1nk3r
6)beyelzu

(I din't include anyone who didn't specifically mention they wanted to play)

Beren
31 Oct 07, 01:00:10 PM
I r will play.

PiCroft
31 Oct 07, 01:07:15 PM
1)PiCroft
2)Tears
3)ELV
4)Damien
5)th1nk3r
6)beyelzu
7)Beren

Beren r included :cool:

Monkey Pants
31 Oct 07, 01:12:59 PM
I'll start a new thread for the sign up...

Tenuous
2 Nov 07, 09:34:58 AM
Wouldn't the assassin game work better if the signups where done via PM? Better to be paranoid about all posts, not just those from a select few people.

th1nk3r
2 Nov 07, 09:54:53 AM
Wouldn't the assassin game work better if the signups where done via PM? Better to be paranoid about all posts, not just those from a select few people.

Too late now, we'll do that on the second game. It would be unfair to have secret signups after a few players are already public.

Does your post means you're interrested in playing? Put your name on the list.

Tenuous
2 Nov 07, 10:53:30 AM
I'm too competitive, it's no good for me to be obsessing over games during the day when I'm supposed to be working :)

Monkey Pants
2 Nov 07, 02:00:53 PM

Too late now, we'll do that on the second game. It would be unfair to have secret signups after a few players are already public.

Does your post means you're interrested in playing? Put your name on the list.

Actually, I think it would be counterproductive.

If you start off suspecting everyone then you only have two choices:

1) Stop posting completely.
2) Shrug your shoulders and assume that your stalker is as likely to be anyone as anyone else, so it doesn't matter who you post after.

At least if you are given the list of starting players, you have a list of who to be careful of and have no need to be careful of people not on the list.

Although it is still important not to know who has been eliminated and who hasn't - otherwise when the list gets too short people will simply never post next to each other and the game will stalemate.

Gary Hurd
4 Nov 07, 08:20:12 PM
I'm an old time D&D player (mimeo Grayhawk rules circa 1977), but I never played online.

Deadlokd
10 Nov 07, 03:33:02 PM
Is it too late to sign up for Assassination?

d0t
10 Nov 07, 03:39:34 PM
Is it too late to sign up for Assassination?

No, it still hasn't started.

Deadlokd
10 Nov 07, 03:42:39 PM
Cool, I'm in. Or not, if it will throw people off the scent.:cool:

th1nk3r
10 Nov 07, 06:06:24 PM
Cool, I'm in. Or not, if it will throw people off the scent.:cool:

assassin signup is in this thread: http://www.rantsnraves.org/showthread.php?t=2634

i took the liberty of adding you to the list. when it starts, you should get a pm from Monkey Pants, who will be running the game i presume... but just in case, check the thread every few days for updates.