$30 - annual vB support/ability to upgrade cost

RECENT INCOME

$70 - monthly subscription payments
$25 - one-time donations in recent history
$75 - one-time(?) donation from $ collected by TRians

AMOUNT IN PIGGYBANK

$122.70

WHAT THIS MEANS

Essentially after October, I will be paying 72.55% of server costs out of pocket at current rate.

the WORST elf
9 Sep 08, 03:45:59 PM
EXPENSES

$255 - monthly server cost

RECENT INCOME

AMOUNT IN PIGGYBANK

$122.70

WHAT THIS MEANS

Essentially after October, I will be paying 72.55% of server costs out of pocket at current rate.

is this just for RnR, or RnR and TR?

Ishmael
9 Sep 08, 03:47:19 PM
I am "so retarded" that I need to conserve my brain capacity for "breathing," or else I'd help again.

Matt
9 Sep 08, 03:51:52 PM
EXPENSES

$255 - monthly server cost

RECENT INCOME

AMOUNT IN PIGGYBANK

$122.70

WHAT THIS MEANS

is this just for RnR, or RnR and TR?

Everything except for the vBulletin license renewal is income/expense for the entire server. The license is specific to RnR. TR does their own financials now although many of the subscribers are RnR/TRers.

TR is currently under no obligation to pay anything (as they aren't consuming any additional resources), but of course support is nice.

Edit: and over the last 6 months, both TR and councilofexmuslims have chipped in significantly. The recent income is just the last ~2-3 months to give you an idea of our income patterns.

I forgot to add:

INCOME FROM AMAZON/CAFEPRESS:

I think I got ~$11.00 from amazon several months back, but other than that, zilch.

the WORST elf
9 Sep 08, 03:55:48 PM
but they are using the same resources we are, correct?

Matt
9 Sep 08, 04:00:53 PM
Yup. They (as an organization) chip in a bit here and there, and individual users at their site do make up a small part of the monthly subscriptions, which is cheaper than both of us going to separate servers.

Until they affect RnR's resources, there's no point in formally charging them as that will provoke them to head for their own server which won't help our costs any as a whole.

the WORST elf
9 Sep 08, 04:35:06 PM
Yup. They (as an organization) chip in a bit here and there, and individual users at their site do make up a small part of the monthly subscriptions, which is cheaper than both of us going to separate servers.

Until they affect RnR's resources, there's no point in formally charging them as that will provoke them to head for their own server which won't help our costs any as a whole.

there are no way to cut costs (and TR in the process :ninja:)?

halii
9 Sep 08, 04:38:04 PM
how much money would it take to get TR cut? just speaking purely hypothetically.

Matt
9 Sep 08, 04:43:32 PM

there are no way to cut costs (and TR in the process :ninja:)?

Nope.

We're on basically one of the cheapest legit dedicated server plans out there. If we were to downgrade back to a virtual private server, we'd run into all the lag headaches we had this time last year before upgrading. There's no real good place between a VPS and a dedicated- I'd rather have headroom than not. Having our other tenants- TR, CoEM donate even minimally lessens our costs.

Matt
9 Sep 08, 04:44:49 PM
how much money would it take to get TR cut? just speaking purely hypothetically.
I don't understand the question- I see no reason to cut TR until they start affecting RNR's resource utilization.

Server load are stable at 1.69 1.92 1.42 and have been for some time.

Tyrannowhale
9 Sep 08, 04:57:03 PM
INCOME FROM AMAZON/CAFEPRESS:

I think I got ~$11.00 from amazon several months back, but other than that, zilch.

I just ordered two books from Amazon this week, using the RnR Shop link to start my search. I also reminded someone else who uses Amazon that they should remember to do the same. Hope it helps... those books were cheap.

the WORST elf
9 Sep 08, 07:36:35 PM
I don't understand the question- I see no reason to cut TR until they start affecting RNR's resource utilization.

Server load are stable at 1.69 1.92 1.42 and have been for some time.

this doesn't address my question. They are using the same crap we are, so i think asking them to think heavily about donating is a valid option. It's not just a matter of "oh well, i'm paying for it anyway" if it gets to the point where we don't have enough money to continue.

Matt
9 Sep 08, 07:52:44 PM
this doesn't address my question. They are using the same crap we are, so i think asking them to think heavily about donating is a valid option.
I agree. In fact, one of the admins there contacted me just this evening to let me know they plan to pay their share. I'm just saying they are no under contractual obligation to do so (moral imperative, yes!).

halii
9 Sep 08, 08:19:16 PM

I know you don't. How much would it take for you to change your mind? :retard:

Sentinel
9 Sep 08, 08:34:57 PM
Since I'm a donor, can I tell non-donors to stfu and to show me their tits?

Mason
9 Sep 08, 08:37:24 PM
Something has to be done to remedy this situation.

I am going to get a part-time job working at Red Lobster to help pay the expenses for this board.

You may all thank me in rep.

Tyrannowhale
9 Sep 08, 08:39:27 PM
Since I'm a donor, can I tell non-donors to stfu and to show me their tits?

hi

Sentinel
9 Sep 08, 09:48:35 PM
tsk tsk tsk...

If only you guys hadn't called Spenser retarded...

halii
9 Sep 08, 09:54:27 PM
Since I'm a donor, can I tell non-donors to stfu and to show me their tits?i donate more than you bitch, stfu and show me your tits.

halii
9 Sep 08, 09:57:47 PM

I am going to get a part-time job working at Red Lobster to help pay the expenses for this board.

I thought you were working part-time at the Red Lobster to pay for your limo and tux rental for your prom?

Sentinel
9 Sep 08, 09:57:58 PM
Wow, the rich lawyer thinks she owns me...

she does

Mason
9 Sep 08, 10:13:43 PM

I thought you were working part-time at the Red Lobster to pay for your limo and tux rental for your prom?

Sacrifices have to be made.

I could always just spend prom smoking pot with the cooler kids behind the school anyway.

Imaginary Mark
9 Sep 08, 10:21:50 PM
tsk tsk tsk...

If only you guys hadn't called Spenser retarded...

Sorry guys.

Mason
9 Sep 08, 10:25:33 PM
Negged.

Octavia
10 Sep 08, 02:17:45 AM
this doesn't address my question. They are using the same crap we are, so i think asking them to think heavily about donating is a valid option.
I agree. In fact, one of the admins there contacted me just this evening to let me know they plan to pay their share. I'm just saying they are no under contractual obligation to do so (moral imperative, yes!).

Morally we damn well are under obligation to chip in.

You shouldn't be paying for it out of your own pocket, Matt. TR! should be paying a monthly share - I'll find out what's going on and get the thing kickstarted again.

Matt
10 Sep 08, 06:36:17 AM
By the way, if anybody has their own domain name and wants cheap hosting on the server for a blog or similar level of low-resource site, I would be happy to offer it for $10/monthly subscription payment.

Spenser
17 Sep 08, 10:52:46 AM
What is the status?

ravenscape
17 Sep 08, 11:05:29 AM
At TR, we're sorting out issues with a new paypal account. Once that's resolved (hopefully no more than another day or so), the TR treasurer will paypal over funds for 3 months of our share of the server costs (retroactive). After that, we'll do automatic monthly payments.

I guess we better get serious about fundraising.

Raza
17 Sep 08, 05:41:11 PM

You guys should change your name to TalkSerious.

ravenscape
17 Sep 08, 05:55:17 PM

You guys should change your name to TalkSerious.
would you still grace us with your unique presence?

th1nk3r
17 Sep 08, 07:06:03 PM
I'll start donating 5 EUR per month if you open a moneybookers account. By the end of the year, that should be about 2500 USD with the way the exchange rate is going.

eta: unless there are other europeans who would rather use this instead of paypal, i think it's not worth doing it just for me... i'll try and get my paypal acct verified, hopefully it won't take longer than a month:owned:

Octavia
29 Sep 08, 05:09:43 PM
Matt, you should now have all the "back rent" from TR!, I think. Starting October, we'll be putting in the $80 you said was our monthly share each month, so it doesn't get backlogged again. Sorry about that, it wasn't good enough.

Please let us know if our share changes, so we can adjust the payments. :)

enhacyshehype
29 Jan 13, 10:44:11 PM
You, casually, not the expert?

Tyrannowhale
30 Jan 13, 06:11:53 AM
Sorry, enhacyshehype, but Octavia hasn't posted here in nearly 5 years. So no, she is not the expert.

ravenscape
30 Jan 13, 06:20:53 PM
RnR has a pet bot.

Tyrannowhale
30 Jan 13, 08:42:56 PM
RnR has a pet bot.

Are you saying that a program has been automated to make posts on vBulletin forums, without a person needing to type words and click "reply"?

ravenscape
30 Jan 13, 09:07:59 PM
shocking, isn't it?

Tyrannowhale
30 Jan 13, 10:01:10 PM
shocking, isn't it?

Not shocking, I guess it kind of sucks that you pay for forum software that has a Reply button that doesn't work as a button.