PDA

View Full Version : H2G2 - Day 8 & Postmortem

mrickaby
13 Aug 08, 08:02:51 PM
Bart Roberts was found floating outside the ship, not to be heard from again. He was Agrajag, and town.

The Hitchhikers win, along with the mice.

The Hitchhikers:

cockrell - Trillian
ELV - Zaphod Beeblebrox
Reign_Cryogen - Arthur Dent
SkepticTank - Ford Prefect

The mice (for outliving Arthur):

Fuzzy Fungi - Franky Mouse
LuisGarcia - Benjie Mouse

The surviving non-scum players are:

plaridel - Hooloovoo with a Finite Improbability Device (ninja)
sonofsyd - Marvin, and Indy survivor (cannot win because of the equalization of scum - non-scum)

Please discuss the game. I would like to run another one in the future, and appreciate any feedback on this one. I know the theme ended up being a little weak, and some of the roles pretty weakly put together, those changes were mostly done for gameplay, and trying to fit characters from the story into the game.

SkepticTank
13 Aug 08, 08:10:54 PM
Theme was fun, but confusing. Making the Vogons "town", and the stories protaganists "scum" was strange. I think you did well with the theme as far as devices Zaphod had Peril-sensitive sunglasses which protected him from night kills. The Hitchers had a copy of The Guide which allowed us to investigate. The Agrajag role was amuzing.

I guess all the non-Vogons that were actually "town" confused me. I really thought Spenser was some kind of indy role early in the game that's why I was trying to bandwagon him.

The mice got lucky in finding Arthur right away, but they also were smart in negotiating a deal with scum that would have worked to everyone's benefit.

It's not your fault MRick, that everyone decided to play so damn silently.

mrickaby
13 Aug 08, 08:18:29 PM
Making the Vogons "town", and the stories protaganists "scum" was strange.

The reason I did this was because there were so few potential "town" roles within the stories, but so many great "scum" roles with a normal setup of protagonists = town. I tried to set it up that way, but it did not work.

Tears On My Dong
13 Aug 08, 10:11:18 PM
lol village

LuisGarcia
14 Aug 08, 01:02:53 AM

This is what happens when you don't lynch the quiet ones early on... by the end you look scummy just for posting.

Congrats scum, good game MRick.

Tears On My Dong
14 Aug 08, 03:00:54 AM
Thanks for the game, mrickaby. None of the things that sucked were your fault.

d0t
14 Aug 08, 03:37:04 AM
Good job mrickaby, just too bad the activity was so low.

cockrell
14 Aug 08, 05:49:59 AM
We made a deal with Luis to give up Arthur in return for help. We had the guide and could view, so we were going to claim "backup seer" Zarniwoop. But Luis screwed it up by saying he'd viewed Arthur, and we were scared he was double crossing us. Fortunately he didn't and the rest of the game wasn't that hard.

Just seemed like the town stopped trying around turn 3 or 4.

eta -- what was marvin's victory condition? Can you post the roles?

Patronus Potter
14 Aug 08, 05:59:59 AM

This is what happens when you don't lynch the quiet ones early on... by the end you look scummy just for posting.

Congrats scum, good game MRick.

None of the scum were quiet, but half of the town was.

mrickaby
14 Aug 08, 06:03:35 AM
eta -- what was marvin's victory condition? Can you post the roles?

Marvin was a survivor in case of a town win. They would have still had to hunt him out. His win condition was last man standing.

I will post the roles when I get home from work, my writeups are all on my PC there.

sonofsyd
14 Aug 08, 06:12:06 AM
You are Marvin the Paranoid Android

You are an independent character, because you feel that everyone hates you, so you choose not to align with any of them. Your win condition is to be the last player standing. This means the game cannot end until you die.

Last player standing = toughest win condition ever :colbert:

ETA: Good game mrick. I really enjoyed it despite hating everyone.

LuisGarcia
14 Aug 08, 06:34:36 AM
But Luis screwed it up by saying he'd viewed Arthur

It was deliberate, because we found him anyway. It would have been a sure fire scum win had we done it, and I didn't think it would be fair to town given we'd got him anyway.

ETA also, sorry for screwing the deal.

ELV
14 Aug 08, 06:47:22 AM
jerk :p

cockrell
14 Aug 08, 08:03:17 AM
we found a flashlight and used the batteries to power a SEP field, making us immune to nightkills.

What was the flashlight really for?

LuisGarcia
14 Aug 08, 08:12:20 AM
hahaha

cockrell
14 Aug 08, 08:32:34 AM
But Luis screwed it up by saying he'd viewed Arthur

It was deliberate, because we found him anyway. It would have been a sure fire scum win had we done it, and I didn't think it would be fair to town given we'd got him anyway.

ETA also, sorry for screwing the deal.

yea we were 2 out of 13 SURE FIRE WIN

trillian
14 Aug 08, 09:50:26 AM
Day 1 I would have viewed Spenser but the PM I had said my power was to tell vogons from non-vogons and that there were non-vogons that were pro town in the game. So I was surprised when I viewed LG to get his role and that he was indy as well. If I had viewed Spens, it would have really changed things.

I also would have outed to Spenser day 2 but he wasnt going to be around. So I gave damian a warning about having crappy scumdar, gave alternative for lynching (with reasoning) and hoped for the best.

Thanks mrickaby!

the WORST elf
14 Aug 08, 09:52:41 AM
they are looking for you in the FF game.

mrickaby
14 Aug 08, 10:14:28 AM
Day 1 I would have viewed Spenser but the PM I had said my power was to tell vogons from non-vogons and that there were non-vogons that were pro town in the game.

That was my fault, it was meant to be only a species view, not alignment. That would have been corrected on later days.

Reign_Cryogen
14 Aug 08, 10:23:08 AM
Yeah, only the relative quietness is what blew. The rest of the setup was pretty clean (though I'm inclined to agree that a last-man-standing condition is tough on its best days).

sonofsyd
14 Aug 08, 11:28:44 AM
Just realised that I have 42 rep. This is clearly a sign to the meaning of life, the universe and everything. :retard:

Tenuous
14 Aug 08, 12:14:22 PM
I thought the role switch was a nice change, having the town being the scummy ones. The only thing which sucked was the total lack of participation, and the 'lynch the people who are actually playing' idea just added to the wreckage.

Tenuous
14 Aug 08, 12:14:54 PM
Just realised that I have 42 rep. This is clearly a sign to the meaning of life, the universe and everything. :retard:

So the question is "How much rep does sonofsyd have?". It all makes sense now!

Tenuous
14 Aug 08, 12:15:48 PM
I thought the role switch was a nice change, having the town being the scummy ones. The only thing which sucked was the total lack of participation, and the 'lynch the people who are actually playing' idea just added to the wreckage.

Oh, of course it didn't help that my first private role claim was to LG, and the mice were the only people who wouldn't have gone for it :owned:

Tenuous
14 Aug 08, 12:17:20 PM
Bart Roberts was found floating outside the ship, not to be heard from again. He was Agrajag, and town.

The Hitchhikers:

cockrell - Trillian
ELV - Zaphod Beeblebrox

sonofsyd - Marvin, and Indy survivor (cannot win because of the equalization of scum - non-scum)

Please discuss the game. I would like to run another one in the future, and appreciate any feedback on this one. I know the theme ended up being a little weak, and some of the roles pretty weakly put together, those changes were mostly done for gameplay, and trying to fit characters from the story into the game.

Did I win too? With the hitchhikers right? :D

LuisGarcia
14 Aug 08, 12:22:51 PM
Oh, of course it didn't help that my first private role claim was to LG, and the mice were the only people who wouldn't have gone for it :owned:

I lolled.

mrickaby
14 Aug 08, 02:31:42 PM

The Hitchhikers:

cockrell - Trillian
ELV - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Did I win too? With the hitchhikers right? :D

Yes, sorry, missed you.

LuisGarcia
14 Aug 08, 02:56:30 PM
My only complaint about the game, btw, is that you had an indie faction hunting a member of a weak scum team, and on the death of that scum, town got a bonus person.

I know scum won anyway, but that all seemed to stack it against scum quite a lot.

sonofsyd
14 Aug 08, 03:40:03 PM
I'm still depressed. And I'm not paranoid. Just very morose.

the WORST elf
14 Aug 08, 04:04:28 PM
My only complaint about the game, btw, is that you had an indie faction hunting a member of a weak scum team, and on the death of that scum, town got a bonus person.

I know scum won anyway, but that all seemed to stack it against scum quite a lot.

you're forgetting the town handicap.

LuisGarcia
14 Aug 08, 04:10:08 PM
Which one?

the WORST elf
14 Aug 08, 04:12:01 PM
sucky players.

mrickaby
14 Aug 08, 05:23:06 PM

I gave the sum stuff to counteract this, including a passable read ability and passable protection. If I had not had those, I would have added an Indy Gag Halfrunt, who would have been trying to stop you.

sucky players.

I am not responsible for this problem, all roles (besides Bart) were random.

Also, weren't you town? If that goes for all, then it goes for you.

ELV
14 Aug 08, 05:25:13 PM
I think Damian was actually Mason for a while. He didn't show up once during perhaps the most crucial day this game.

cockrell
14 Aug 08, 05:28:40 PM
what was the flashlight for?

mrickaby
14 Aug 08, 05:34:07 PM
what was the flashlight for?

LuisGarcia, after meeting his win condition, asked for an infinite improbablity drive for lulz.

ELV got the flashlight for being the first poster that day.

It was basically to cause confusion for you guys.

Your suggestion for an SEP was amazing. I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out how to make it work.

I was hoping for more things like what you suggested there, people finding things that should have worked within the stories. I would have allowed damn near anything if it was backed up in one of the sources.

cockrell
14 Aug 08, 05:41:31 PM
I have the books but didn't feel like reading them again for info on the flashlight. The first thing I googled was Arthur looking for the demolition records in the basement with one. Googled some more and found the Somebody Else's Problem field, and the light came on, so to speak. Between that and the glasses the two of us were immune to night kills, not that anyone tried them on us.

ELV
14 Aug 08, 05:56:44 PM
It did let us not worry about whoever else was killing people. They could only help us at that point.

mrickaby
14 Aug 08, 06:21:25 PM
BTW, it was requested, here were my original write ups for the roles:

Hitchhikers

(Reign_Cryogen; SkepticTank; cockrell; ELV)

You are the Hitchhikers. You act as scum for this game. The following are your roles:

Arthur Dent – (Reign_Cryogen) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Dent
Ford Prefect – (SkepticTank) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Prefect_(character)
Trisha “Trillian” McMillan – (cockrell) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillian_(character)
Zaphod Beeblebrox – (ELV) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaphod_Beeblebrox

The following items are held by players within your group:

Ford has a copy of the Guide. He is able to use this to find information about one player per night.

Zaphod has a pair of peril-sensitive sunglasses. These can be used to detect when some danger is approaching, so that it can be avoided. The practical side of this is that the wearer will be immune to nightkills.

Each night you will choose one player to send out of an airlock and have killed. You will also have to choose which of the four main airlocks (numbered, conveniently, 1-4) to use for that night.

Dentrassi

(Tenuous)

You are a Dentrassi.

The Dentrassis are cooks for the Vogon ships, but do not care for the Vogons. You have helped the Hitchhikers board the ship, and can help them through the game. You do not know who the Hitchhikers are, and they do not know who you are. However, because of your time aboard the ship, you are not only familiar to the Vogons (and view as town), you also know the secret passageways and hiding places which can be used to spy on players. This will let you know the alignment of the players. You win with the Hitchhikers, but count as ship's crew for their win condition.

Frankie and Benjy Mouse

(Fuzzy Fungi; LuisGarcia)

You are Frankie (Fuzzy Fungi) and Benjy (LuisGarcia) mouse.

You are three-dimensional representations of hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional creatures who are searching for the question to the Ultimate Answer of Life, the Universe, and Everything. You are known to each other and are independent from any other faction. The Question is locked in the head of Arthur Dent, and can only be retrieved by having him killed. You may together view a player each night, to find out whether they are Arthur. You may kill once per game. If this kill is against Arthur, you win, and count as ship's crew for their win condition, although it does not matter to you which side wins. If you try to kill another player, that player will not be killed, and you will both be killed. You will alternate nights for each player to view. If one of you is killed, the remaining player will be able to view every other night.

Former Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

(trillian)

You are the former Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz.

You are the disgraced captain of a Vogon constructor ship. While you are no longer captain of the ship, you still retain your skill at writing poetry. It is known that Vogon poetry is the third worst in the universe. By choosing a player at night, you will be able to read them poetry. A Vogon will not react to this poetry, while a non-Vogon will have a violent reaction and you will then be able to tell whether that player is in fact a Vogon. This is not a fool-proof method of determining whether a player is scum, however, as there are non-Vogons among the ship's crew.

Head Vogon Guard

(Nightson)

You are the Head Vogon Guard.

In this role, you will have the special ability to guard one of the airlocks to the ship. There are four air locks (coincidentally numbered 1-4). You will choose which airlock to guard each night. If the Hitchhikers choose the same airlock, you will block their nightkill. You will not, however, be able to capture one of the Hitchhikers. You are a Vogon, and win with the ship's crew.

Vogon Guard

(beyelzu
Patronus Potter
damian
uncool
d0t
Adam)

You are a Vogon Guard.

You are one of several members of the ship's crew.

Hooloovoo

(plaridel)

You are a Hooloovoo, a super intelligent shade of the color blue.

You are traveling with the Vogons with a prototype handheld version of a Finite Improbability Device. This device, while not allowing for Infinite Improbability, will still allow you to switch the actions of two players. While not an actual Vogon, you are still part of the ship's crew. This device may be passed to another trusted player, however a Vogon will not be able to understand how to make it work.

Agrajag

(Bart Roberts)

You are Agrajag.

Agrajag is a character that was killed in every one of his incarnations by Arthur Dent. You will die on every night of the game as long as Arthur lives. This means that you will not be able to be active in the game until Arthur is killed. At this point, once you are allowed to live, you will be a member of the ship's crew.

Wowbagger

(Spenser)

You are Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged.

You are an immortal being who is not happy being immortal. In order to pass your time, you have decided to insult every being within the galaxy in alphabetical order. You are considered a member of the ship's crew, and do not have any special powers. However, as a restriction on your character, you must open every post with an insult against another player, going through the listed players in alphabetical order. When you reach the end of the alphabet, start again from A. This will, of course, make it difficult to survive the game.

Marvin

(sonofsyd)

You are Marvin the Paranoid Android

You are an independent character, because you feel that everyone hates you, so you choose not to align with any of them. Your win condition is to be the last player standing. This means the game cannot end until you die.

With Tears added later.

the WORST elf
14 Aug 08, 08:37:40 PM
I think Damian was actually Mason for a while. He didn't show up once during perhaps the most crucial day this game.

correct. the day where i pegged you, and then everyone voted for FF, and then i got nightkilled, should've been a clue.

ELV
14 Aug 08, 08:43:52 PM

correct. the day where i pegged you, and then everyone voted for FF, and then i got nightkilled, should've been a clue.

We tried killing you a few times. When Luis attracted all the night kills one of ours was going to be you. I knew that if you were given another day you'd probably get me lynched. We lucked out that that was the day you didn't post at all.

Also, we knew that killing you would be scummy as hell but we tried to time it so that there were other confusing things happening to keep the town distracted. Thats one reason why we first tried the night Luis died because he told me that he was suiciding that night.

halii
15 Aug 08, 01:20:15 AM

I was going to play for damian and try to make a vote for ELV, but by the time i got caught up on everything the day was over and the next day damian was dead.

Spenser
15 Aug 08, 11:08:38 AM
I never really had a chance in this game but day one was still kinda fun.

Tyrannowhale
12 Oct 12, 05:57:31 AM
Hey!! Want get the XRumer 7.5.31
Or maybe for cash. Anybody sell? I can pay via PayPal...

Thanks

Sure, the link to my Paypal is right here, Miss Liloo. http://talkrational.org/misc.php?do=donate

I'll sell it to ya fer 36 bucks. Just deposit 36 bucks into this Paypal account and I post here with the Transaction number so I know it's you.