PDA

View Full Version : The best episodes ever

Patronus Potter
28 May 08, 04:11:22 PM
I reckon we should make the definitive list of the best episodes of the best TV shows.

This is a task fitting for those with both exceptional rationality and critical analytical skills, and extensive knowledge of popular culture. In other words, this is the site to do it.

Here are some shows off the top of my head, add the shows you think of and then we can nominate the best episodes.

The Simpsons
Seinfeld
Lost
Battlestar Galactica
Star Trek: The Next Generation
The Office (U.S and UK)
Beavis & Butt-head

Tartantyco
28 May 08, 04:25:38 PM
Babylon 5

Clete
28 May 08, 04:26:05 PM
The Simpsons
Seinfeld
Lost
Battlestar Galactica
The Office (U.S and UK)
Beavis & Butt-head
X-Files
Arrested Development
Twilight Zone

ELV
28 May 08, 05:41:30 PM
South Park

grendelfreak
28 May 08, 06:48:35 PM
Doctor Who

Cynical-Chick
28 May 08, 07:52:49 PM
The West Wing
ST: DS9

Imaginary Mark
28 May 08, 08:00:44 PM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Futurama

MarkW
29 May 08, 03:50:04 PM
Buffy
Angel
M*A*S*H

Mark

halii
29 May 08, 04:34:57 PM
Babylon 5
out

halii
29 May 08, 04:39:22 PM
I'll add the insanely unpopular 30 Rock and the mostly unwatched Scrubs.

Also:
Get Smart
Ducktales
Pete & Pete
Salute Your Shorts

Patronus Potter
29 May 08, 05:04:19 PM
Adding Spongebob Squarepants

Barbarosa
29 May 08, 05:07:28 PM
Sledge Hammer

Patronus Potter
29 May 08, 05:12:38 PM
Adding Twin Peaks, Northern Exposure, and Homicide: Life on the Street.

This might be close to enough shows, so get them in and I'll write up the list later tonight.

Tartantyco
29 May 08, 06:49:51 PM
Babylon 5
out

fu

B.S. Lewis
29 May 08, 07:08:27 PM
Arrested Development

Curb Your Enthusiasm too

halii
29 May 08, 07:35:35 PM
Adding Spongebob Squarepants
Kid TV shows suck now, they used to be a work of art.

The only sci-fi show I ever liked besides Twilight Zone was The Outer Limits, but I don't know if it's worthy or anyone watched it and I'd put a lot of shows before that.

SNL has had so many highs and lows over the years, it might be good to put that into the mix.

Imaginary Mark
29 May 08, 07:37:51 PM
I'll add the insanely unpopular 30 Rock.
I have to admit I laughed pretty hard at the episode with the lemon party joke.

Rivers Cuomo Fan #754
29 May 08, 07:38:19 PM
sailor moon

halii
29 May 08, 07:45:53 PM
I'll add the insanely unpopular 30 Rock.
I have to admit I laughed pretty hard at the episode with the lemon party joke.It wouldn't be a lemon party without old Dick!

I laugh at that show all the time and then wonder why no one else likes it. I also like How I Met Your Mother but I don't know if anyone's ever seen that.

Imaginary Mark
29 May 08, 07:49:32 PM
I like that show too.

Cynical-Chick
29 May 08, 09:44:30 PM
I'll add the insanely unpopular 30 Rock and the mostly unwatched Scrubs.

Also:
Get Smart
Ducktales
Pete & Pete
Salute Your Shorts
Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Patronus Potter
30 May 08, 08:22:06 AM
Okay. I forgot about the Sopranos so I'm adding that, and here's the list.

Angel
Arrested Development
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica
Beavis & Butt-head
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Doctor Who
DuckTales
Futurama
Get Smart!
Homicide: Life on the Street
Lost
M*A*S*H*
Northern Exposure
The Office (U.S. and U.K.)
Pete & Pete
Sailor Moon
Salute Your Shorts
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
Sledge Hammer
The Sopranos
South Park
SpongeBob Squarepants
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
The Twilight Zone
Twin Peaks
The West Wing
The X-Files

That's 33 shows, so if we nominate episodes and vote one by one, that'll be a long game. I propose that we have a nomination period of two weeks, during which you can each submit up to five episodes per show, and then we vote one by one down the list. Suggestions for other ideas are appreciated.

Include a brief description when you nominate an episode, like this:

Episode 1-1: Encounter At Farpoint

Captain Picard and the Enterprise crew are put on trial for the crimes of the human race by a mysterious being called Q.

AthenaAwakened
30 May 08, 08:31:17 AM
The Dick Van Dyke Show

Episode 51
It May Look Like a Walnut

Under the influence of science fiction, Rob fears that a walnut will steal his imagination and his thumbs. Danny Thomas guest-stars

AthenaAwakened
30 May 08, 08:48:16 AM
I Love Lucy

Episode 30
Lucy Does a TV Commercial

Lucy is hired to do a TV commercial for "Vitameatavegamin" health tonic. After four takes she's "happy" but not very "peppy."

halii
30 May 08, 08:52:46 AM
Okay. I forgot about the Sopranos so I'm adding that, and here's the list.

Angel
Arrested Development
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica
Beavis & Butt-head
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Doctor Who
DuckTales
Futurama
Get Smart!
Lost
M*A*S*H*
Northern Exposure
Pete & Pete
Sailor Moon
Salute Your Shorts
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
Sledge Hammer
The Sopranos
South Park
SpongeBob Squarepants
The Twilight Zone
Twin Peaks
The West Wing
The X-Files

That's 33 shows, so if we nominate episodes and vote one by one, that'll be a long game. I propose that we have a nomination period of two weeks, during which you can each submit up to five episodes per show, and then we vote one by one down the list. Suggestions for other ideas are appreciated.

Include a brief description when you nominate an episode, like this:

Episode 1-1: Encounter At Farpointi nominated 30 Rock and Scrubs :(

Ducktales:
Home sweet Homer

The episode where they all go back in time to ancient greece and battle Circe. pennies nickels quarters dimes, come to us where there's still time. You know the episode that's based on the Illiad.

Rivers Cuomo Fan #754
30 May 08, 08:54:29 AM
scrubs sucks

Patronus Potter
30 May 08, 09:04:06 AM
i nominated 30 Rock and Scrubs

Sorry, I overlooked that post.

The list with Athena's additions:

30 Rock
Angel
Arrested Development
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica
Beavis & Butt-head
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Doctor Who
DuckTales
Futurama
Get Smart!
I Love Lucy
Lost
M*A*S*H*
Northern Exposure
Pete & Pete
Sailor Moon
Salute Your Shorts
Saturday Night Live
Scrubs
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
Sledge Hammer
The Sopranos
South Park
SpongeBob Squarepants
The Twilight Zone
Twin Peaks
The West Wing
The X-Files

eta: SNL too, I can't read today.

halii
30 May 08, 09:07:39 AM
scrubs sucks
sometimes it does and sometimes it's good. Much like "friends" except less corny.

Pavlov's Dog
30 May 08, 09:08:38 AM
scrubs sucks

lookit dis Scrubs ^^^^^

AthenaAwakened
30 May 08, 09:46:57 AM
All in the Family

Episode 34
Sammy's Visit

The episode that quickly became a legend. It all starts when Sammy Davis Jr. leaves a briefcase in Archie's taxicab, and needs to visit the Bunkers to retrieve it. Archie tries to be on his best behavior but winds up being himself. In the moment that made the episode, Sammy decides to pose for a picture with Archie, but kisses him on the cheek just as Munson trips the camera's shutter.

dug_down_deep
30 May 08, 10:00:48 AM
ABC News

January 8, 1992 Episode
Ah, So Sorry

President Bush becomes ill on a visit to Japan and vomits on Japanese Prime Minister Miyazawa Kiichi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOnDatqENo

AthenaAwakened
30 May 08, 10:15:38 AM
The Twilight Zone (Original)

Episode 8
Time Enough at Last

A man who loves to read survives a nuclear explosion.

lukewarm
30 May 08, 10:15:55 AM
Angel - season 1 episode 1 - City Of

Angel tries to help Tina but she gets killed by this vampire called Russell. Angel goes to the guys office. Russell is sitting in one of those office chairs with wheels. Angel leans down, a hand on each arm of the chair and when Russell says, "I can do anything. You can't touch me." Angel says, “Can you fly?“ and then proceeds to roll the chair towards the window and pushes Russell and the chair through the glass window. Russell burns up in the sunlight and Angel casually turns around and walks away.

halii
30 May 08, 10:17:51 AM
The Office: The Injury
Episode 2-18

Michael grills his foot on a George Foreman Grill.

Patronus Potter
30 May 08, 10:25:43 AM
The Office
Episode 2-1: Dundees

Michael brings the staff to Chili's to hand out his annual Dundee awards to everyone in the office. Pam ditches Roy to hang out with Jim and sips on a lot of "second drinks".

Clete
30 May 08, 10:28:56 AM
Arrested Development
Episode 26
Good Grief

After Ice reveals that George Sr. has been executed in Mexico, the family holds a wake. Gob performs a magic trick in which he is buried in place of his father's body, which upsets Buster, who was told that it was a birthday party. George Michael discovers George Sr. alive in an underground bunker and hides him in the attic.

AthenaAwakened
30 May 08, 10:32:48 AM
Star Trek (The Original Series)

It's between The Trouble With Tribbles
and
For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky

halii
30 May 08, 10:35:51 AM
Arrested Development
Episode 26
Good Grief

After Ice reveals that George Sr. has been executed in Mexico, the family holds a wake. Gob performs a magic trick in which he is buried in place of his father's body, which upsets Buster, who was told that it was a birthday party. George Michael discovers George Sr. alive in an underground bunker and hides him in the attic.
agreed

Clete
30 May 08, 10:40:21 AM
Twilight Zone
Episode 22
The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street

At the sound of the roar and the flash of light, neighbors begin to suspect each other of being aliens.

Clete
30 May 08, 10:42:32 AM
Arrested Development
Episode 26
Good Grief

agreed
The part where Gob fall out of the secret door in the coffin has got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen on a TV show. Just thinking about it makes me laugh. :ROLLING:

Patronus Potter
30 May 08, 10:42:37 AM
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Episode 2-7: The Doll

As part of a deal with ABC, Larry agrees to attend a screening of a new miniseries. While at the after-party, Larry finds that the bathroom doors have no locks, so he goes to use the upstairs bathroom, and the network exec's daughter asks him to give her doll a haircut. He does so, but when the girl realizes that the hair won't grow back, Larry and Jeff try to steal the head off a similar doll owned by Jeff's daughter Sammy.

Episode 5-8: The Ski Lift

Larry learns that the head of the kidney consortium is an Orthodox Jew, and he and Jeff come up with a scheme to meet and befriend him to get Richard Lewis a kidney. Larry pretends to be religious to get on the doctor's good side, but when they all go to a ski lodge for a weekend, the doctor's daughter sees through him.

Von Zipper
30 May 08, 10:54:19 AM
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman 01

Concerned at repeated attacks by evil mecha-building organisation Galactor and their hordes of machine gun weilding henchmen, the International Science Organisation meets to discuss a counter strategy. Dr. Nambu announces that he's got it covered and reads a short poem about "the white shadow that steals close to its prey".

Turns out his big plan is to assemble a team of 5 kids aged 10 - 17, dress them in thigh boots and capes, and arm them with yo-yos, boomerangs and an aircraft with no weapons apart from missiles, which he tells them never to use.

Tears On My Dong
30 May 08, 11:00:57 AM
Transformers

Fire in the Sky

The Decepticons are plotting to drain the Earth's energy through a crystal at the North Pole. They discover a Transformer, Skyfire, buried in the ice and revive him. Skyfire, a scientist, crash-landed on Earth before the Autobot ship crashed during a survey mission with Starscream. He allies himself with the Decepticons because of Starscream, and takes Spike and Sparkplug prisoner, being too powerful for the Autobots to stop. However, when he sees how Megatron treats his human prisoners, he changes sides. The Decepticons are defeated, but only at the cost of Skyfire, who ends up frozen in the ice once again.

Matt
30 May 08, 11:02:05 AM
scrubs sucks
Any favorable opinion I had left of you just died.

halii
30 May 08, 11:03:44 AM
Shit gets real in tv thread

Nightson
30 May 08, 01:20:25 PM
Firefly needs to be added to the list.

dug_down_deep
3 Jun 08, 12:40:15 PM
RnR Best Episodes Ever

May 30, 2008 Episode

GunnerJ finally demonstrates some vestige of good taste, which results in Matt cutting off all emotional ties to him. Halii provides comic relief. With a cameo appearance by Nightson.

halii
3 Jun 08, 12:57:55 PM
30 Rock Cleveland
season 1, episode 22

Liz's boyfriend gets an interview for a new job in Cleveland and asks her to come along for the weekend. They love Cleveland and view it as the world's best vacation spot, alongside Hawaii and Miami. Then he gets the job and asks if Liz will move to cleveland with her. Meanwhile, Jack makes plans to marry Phoebe, the art seller with hollow bones. Jack's mother is in town and he forces Liz to eat dinner with Phoebe and his mother. The black crusaders, a group of educated black entertainers such as bill cosby, are after Tracy Morgan.

Patronus Potter
3 Jun 08, 07:32:54 PM

Episodes 3-26, 4-1: The Best of Both Worlds

The Borg arrive in Federation space. A brash young commander joins the Enterprise and gets under Riker's skin. The Borg capture and assimilate Captain Picard and make him their spokesman. As the Borg devastate the Federation fleet and head for Earth, Riker takes command of the Enterprise and is forced to think outside the box in order to get Picard back and defeat the Borg.

Episode 4-3: Brothers

While the Enterprise transports a sick boy for emergency medical treatment, Data malfunctions and single-handedly takes control of the ship. He takes the ship to his home planet, where he comes face-to-face with the man who built him, and his rogue brother, Lore.

Episode 1-5: Where No One Has Gone Before

A mysterious alien called the "Traveler" initiates an unknown method of transport which hurtles the Enterprise into a distant galaxy.

Episode 5-25: The Inner Light

A probe from a long-extinct civilization causes Picard to fall into a dream in which he experiences an entire lifetime as one of their own.

Episode 1-2: The Naked Now

An alien contaminant pervades the ship and causes everyone on board to become intoxicated. Lieutenant Yar fucks Data.

MarkW
9 Jun 08, 03:37:48 PM
A few nominations, finally (descriptions from tv.com):

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Season 4, episode 10--"Hush"

The entire town of Sunnydale goes silent when a group of strange creatures called The Gentlemen appear and steal everyone's voices. Buffy and the gang must solve the mystery and overcome the bad guys without being able to discuss their battle plan.

M*A*S*H
Season 3, Episode 24--"Abyssinia, Henry"

Actually, we won't. One of the classic M*A*S*H episodes. Henry finally gets his discharge. While he is tying things up, Burns prepares for his new command.

Mark

Tony G
19 Jun 08, 09:06:47 AM
Futurama - Amazon Women in the Mood

Patronus Potter
19 Jun 08, 09:09:59 AM
Hey, thanks for contributing. We may need to extend the nomination period - by about a year.

Will post some episodes later.

Tony G
26 Jun 08, 07:11:38 AM
Sledge Hammer! - I'd say the entire series, but if I had to choose one episode, I guess it'd be the Season 1 Finale in which the intrepid detective is faced with disarming a nuclear warhead.

Tony G
28 Jun 08, 12:05:19 PM
The Twilight Zone - Eye of the Beholder.

A disfigured woman gets an operation to attempt to maker her normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_of_the_Beholder

halii
28 Jun 08, 12:16:00 PM
Arrested Development
Episode 26
Good Grief

agreed
I rewatched some episodes and I think my favorite episode is Pier Pressure.

Arrested Development
Episode 10
Pier Pressure
A trap is set when Michael thinks his son has started using marijuana, when in fact Buster asked George Michael for the drug to treat Lucille Austero's vertigo. Maeby spends time bonding with her grandmother, to Lindsay's resentment.

And that is why you don't teach lessons to your son.

Tony G
30 Jun 08, 05:12:13 AM
Seinfeld - The Frogger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frogger

Tony G
9 Jul 08, 08:01:28 AM
The Simpsons - Mr. Plow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Plow

Tony G
17 Jul 08, 10:48:22 AM
South Park - Imaginationland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginationland

Koyaanisqatsi
17 Jul 08, 12:14:38 PM
Star Trek (The Original Series)

It's between The Trouble With Tribbles
and
For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky

Not in between; it came before those two and it was called Mirror, Mirror (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror,_Mirror_(TOS_episode)). :D

The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror VI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treehouse_of_Horror_VI). That's the one where Homer enters the third dimension.

Battlestar Galactica (I'm assuming the new version): Downloaded (http://www.tv.com/battlestar-galactica-2003/downloaded/episode/566118/summary.html).

Why isn't Deadwood on this list? Because every episode is the best?

Tony G
30 Dec 08, 03:00:57 AM
Since the poll I made about the best Disney Afternoon show established Darkwing Duck better than DuckTales, it should also be included or take the place of DT.

Best episode: Jail Bird, in which Negaduck steals a large sacred emerald and escapes while the rest of the Fearsome Five are locked away in a newly constructed supervillain prison.

Going undercover as a villain, DW gets himself arrested and incarcerated.

Negaduck then breaks into the prison, but not to free his former partners in crime. Rather, he uses the powers of the mystic crystal to steal the powers of Megavolt, Quackerjack, Bushroot, and the Liquidator.

The resulting giant, calling himself Mega Negaduck, proceeds to terrorize the city of St. Canard. He is only defeated by a temporary alliance between Darkwing and his enemies.

Mason
30 Dec 08, 03:07:03 AM
The Office: The Injury
Episode 2-18

Michael grills his foot on a George Foreman Grill.

The Office
Episode 2-1: Dundees

Michael brings the staff to Chili's to hand out his annual Dundee awards to everyone in the office. Pam ditches Roy to hang out with Jim and sips on a lot of "second drinks".

The best Office was where Michael's boss died and he tried to make it all about him. I laughed out loud when he had that outburst about the bird and ran out with everyone yelling his name and following him

I also laughed out loud when Michael got pissed during Phyllis's wedding and was like, "I pushed that guy's lazy ass around all day"

Mason
30 Dec 08, 03:08:21 AM
Arrested Development
Episode 10
Pier Pressure
A trap is set when Michael thinks his son has started using marijuana, when in fact Buster asked George Michael for the drug to treat Lucille Austero's vertigo. Maeby spends time bonding with her grandmother, to Lindsay's resentment.

And that is why you don't teach lessons to your son.

This is what I was gonna say for Arrested Development.

Mason
30 Dec 08, 03:12:40 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/Grief_Counseling.jpg

:crying:

blueskyboris
30 Dec 08, 06:33:04 AM
:SANSHOU:

MattShizzle
30 Dec 08, 02:49:22 PM
Beavis & Butthead: Frog Baseball (I think they only showed it a couple times, too. )
Actually the series as a whole was better before the overreacting fucktards wrote letters and got all sorts of restrictions put on.

Tony G
30 Dec 08, 03:58:00 PM
Wasn't that on Liquid Television, before B&B had their own show?

MattShizzle
30 Dec 08, 04:01:13 PM
I don't think so. I only started watching once they had their own show.

Tony G
30 Dec 08, 04:31:42 PM
Yes and no. It was on both, but the B&B ep did proceed it, so I'll concede that point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog_Baseball

The series has its roots in 1992 when Mike Judge created two animated shorts - "Frog Baseball" and "Peace, Love & Understanding" - which were later aired on Liquid Television.

MattShizzle
30 Dec 08, 08:10:57 PM
Damn, I looked there. I was a major fan and don't remember some of them. I was in college at the time and imitating them was pretty big at the time. Of course it was over a decade ago...

ioinc
20 Jan 09, 08:47:12 PM
Next Generation - Yesterday Enterprise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday%27s_Enterprise)

Bartholomew Roberts
20 Jan 09, 10:15:41 PM
Next Generation - Yesterday Enterprise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday%27s_Enterprise)

kill yourself